Chapter 21

Full moon, the hunter's moon...

They climbed the stairs leading to the bridge and entered the area. Jim was amazed, looking around. He only refrained from heading towards the generator monitoring table because Lonios held him by the arm, keeping him standing by his side.

— What does this mean? Civilians are not allowed on my bridge! — the captain stared at the two boys, speaking to Lonios.

— They are my guests; I think it will be interesting for them to see what's about to happen — Lonios pointed to the side window, where a massive tangle of spiky tentacles was enveloping the ship. Some thrashed frantically, beating against the Brand's hull. In the background, on the ship's side, its immense body could be seen floating and occasionally attempting to pull it downward.

— It's a small Physalia, the most aggressive type of ether monster — Jim explained.

— Wonderful, now I have a tour guide on my ship. Out of here, now — the captain exclaimed.

— It seems that your friend did his homework — Lonios commented, ignoring the captain's presence. — Interesting, you didn't tell me you had a Diamond Steel shield — Lonios asked Adon, who carried a shield made of bluish metal, hanging on his back.

— It's Égipe, a family heirloom. It has been ours for many generations, rewarded for bravery in government battles.

— Incredible, it's very well-crafted! — Lonios examined the shield closely. It was so shiny that it seemed to have been forged today, and carved in bas-relief with geometric designs, perhaps runes that Nimbus didn't recognize.

— And what, are you going to wait for the monster to drag us down? If you're afraid, I have some sailors who have killed ether monsters before — the captain spoke ironically.

Quickly, a soldier arrived carrying four staffs, each approximately a meter and a half long.

— Commander, here are the spears from the arsenal, as you requested — the soldier said, handing him the spear while bowing.

— We were waiting for this — Sir Adon responded to the captain.

Each of the knights took one of the spears, and Valeros also received one.

— Retractable spears to kill ether monsters — said Jim, examining the weapons curiously. — They touch the monster, and the tip jumps, hitting one of the creature's brains.

— One of the brains? — Nimbus asked, startled.

— Yes, as it is a very large creature, it has several brains scattered throughout the body, controlling motor functions, and a main one that takes care of everything else — he replied.

— I'll leave you here with your explanations, and I'll have to work — Lonios said to the two.

— Are you ready? — Elisis asked, looking from Lonios to Valeros, who were with her at the door.

— Aren't you coming, Sir Adon? — Lonios asked, intrigued.

— No, since it's a small one, I prefer to let Valeros practice. He needs experience for when he becomes a knight.

Lonios said nothing and realized why Elisis was in charge of the attack. Of course, she would be in command in Adon's absence; she was next in the chain of command after the old knight.

— ATTACK — Elisis shouted, her voice sharp, and the three rushed out through the command bridge door, which was promptly closed by the soldiers after they exited.

Outside seemed like hell; several tentacles blindly thrashed from side to side, trying to ensnare anything living on the deck. The three easily dodged the tentacles. Nimbus kept his eyes on Lonios, who leaped over one tentacle after another and finally jumped onto the last tentacle, running toward the monster's body. When the creature sensed them walking on its limbs, it immediately focused its smaller tentacles to try to grab whoever was on top of them. As Nimbus looked, Valeros was already well ahead of the others, on the monster's body, also dodging the creature's blind attacks. Sometimes he simply defended himself from the tentacle blows with the shield he carried, and at other times, he struck them with the sword, injuring the thicker ones and nearly severing the thinner ones.