Chapter 10

The Government Knights...

The journey was similar to the previous one, with long rides and hours of sword training. This time, Lonios also taught Nimbus to fight with knives and use the bow and arrows. It became clear that the boy didn't have much talent for long-range combat; he was a disaster in archery. The knight then concluded this training. His practice was limited to the sword, with occasional use of the bow. Lonios emphasized that if Nimbus mastered the sword well, he would do well with other types of blades and related weapons. As for the guards accompanying them, they were content to admire the training of the two in silence, making occasional comments among themselves but never venturing to train alongside them. When the day's ride ended, they only set up their pavilions and the campfire, resting or standing guard under Lonios's orders. They didn't hunt, only consuming their abundant provisions. Lonios and Nimbus helped them consume the quality bread, cured meats, and dried meat they offered, a fair exchange for the training spectacle they provided.

However, the soldiers didn't seem very impressed, perhaps because they were accustomed to witnessing the training of other knights. Nimbus would never know, as after almost two weeks of travel and training, they arrived at Cameron. It was close to noon, and the sun was high in the sky. The city was the smallest Nimbus had ever seen, not much larger than the Juramento favela. While it had walls like Aldair, they were not as imposing and well-built. Even though the Summer Castle was luxurious, it didn't compare to the Palace of Solitude. However, Cameron was beautiful and cozy in its own way. Three towers were built in it, with the central one being much taller than the others. The walls were almost as high as those of the city. Before reaching the location, Sir Lonios gave Nimbus a warning.

— Nimbus, wandering knights are not very welcome among other knights. They consider us inferior because we don't have a lord to give us orders. They will likely treat me poorly, and they might be a bit hostile towards you as well. Understand?

Nimbus nodded.

— Alright then, no matter what happens, don't retaliate to any provocations. I want you to promise me that.

— You want me to stay quiet if they treat me badly? Is that it? — Nimbus spoke a bit discontentedly. Despite being a shy boy, he had a hot temper, and he knew it. He wouldn't be able to resist provocations.

— Yes, it's an order, Nimbus.

Nimbus reluctantly agreed.

— I promise not to retaliate against provocations! Repeat, Nimbus — Lonios corrected.

The boy repeated the words without much enthusiasm.

— Very well, let's go then.

They approached the gate, but this time it didn't open before they reached it, as it happened in the capital. Instead, a man on top of the wall shouted:

— WHO GOES THERE!

— SIR LONIOS, THE WANDERING KNIGHT, WE ARE HERE BY ORDER OF THE GRAND LEADER.

The massive double gate began to open, and two guards wielding spears emerged. They didn't wear full armor like those in the Palace of Solitude; they were simple guards, perhaps the same ones who patrolled the city.

— Prove that you are a knight and that the Grand Leader sent you — one of the guards said, tapping his spear on the ground, ignoring the fully-armored government guards beside Lonios.

— Here you go — Sir Lonios pulled out a letter from inside his overcoat and handed it to the guard. The letter was sealed with wax, and the Government's emblem was stamped on it. The guard opened the letter and examined its contents. After reading it, he bowed and spoke.

— Welcome to Fort Guard, Sir Lonios the Wanderer. — He gestured with his hand, indicating the way for them, then rushed with the letter towards the castle.

The two dismounted their horses, and just like at the Grand Leader's Palace, two boys led them to the stable. The guards only nodded and withdrew with their animals toward the guard room.

Upon entering, they noticed that the place was very different from the Palace of Solitude. A large courtyard lay before double doors that marked the entrance to the castle. There were some buildings along the walls, mostly quarters for the guards, a stable, and a kennel.

In the courtyard, Nimbus noticed a boy around his age sparring with three guards simultaneously. He had the typical appearance of the people of Cenferum—taller than Lonios, light eyes, aquiline nose, and brown hair. Despite his youthful appearance, he had a strong physical build, with well-developed arms, legs, and chest. He wore a Chainmail Hauberk tunic, wielded a short sword, and carried a round shield with two crescent-shaped notches at both ends, where the boy occasionally rested his sword and spied on his opponents.

The boy skillfully alternated attacks between the three guards and effortlessly defended himself with the shield. He disarmed one guard with a swift move, noticed another guard dropping his guard behind him, struck him in the face with the shield, causing him to fall, and in the last moment threw his shield at the remaining guard. The guard tried to defend himself, and when the shield hit him, it rebounded, allowing the boy to catch it mid-air. Seizing the disoriented guard's confusion, he pointed his sword at his throat, making him surrender. He won the fight without even breaking a sweat.

Finally, he turned away and headed towards the castle's entrance.

— Tomorrow we'll train again; I hope you fight better than this — he spoke without even looking at the defeated guards.

The guards just glanced at each other and left the area for their quarters by the castle wall. Nimbus noticed that Lonios was also observing the fight.

However, Nimbus was now understanding why the guards accompanying them weren't impressed with their training. What that boy had done was practically insane; Nimbus couldn't hold a candle to him. At that moment, Lonios interrupted his thoughts and whispered.

— Undoubtedly, he's a knight or a squire about to become one. When you reach that level, Nimbus, you can consider yourself a good knight. — Lonios placed one hand on the boy's shoulder. — But you have much training ahead to reach that level, perhaps a few more years. Using a shield may seem simple, but it requires a lot of practice, especially with a lance or short sword.

While the two were conversing, a man not more than thirty years old approached them with the letter Lonios had given to the guard. He was blond, tall, with hair halfway down his back. He wore a wide-brimmed hat with a feather dangling at the top, and his mustaches ended in points. He was dressed in leather attire, with a vest and a tunic attached to the shoulder with brooches, all on top of each other.

— Sir Lonios the Wanderer? — the man asked. — I am Sir Araniz Locniel. We are honored to have you here to join the 53rd Expedition. — The man bowed, taking off his hat and almost dragging it on the ground.

— The honor is mine, Sir Araniz. This is my squire, Nimbus. — Lonios nodded slightly.

— It's an honor to meet you, Nimbus. — Araniz looked at the boy and made a small bow. — Follow me to the main hall; I'll introduce you to the other knights in the Expedition.

They followed Araniz through the double doors and entered the immense main hall of the castle. The walls were adorned with large banners of embroidered, multicolored cloth that descended from the ceiling to almost drag on the ground. In some places, shields and crossed weapons complemented the military atmosphere. Right in the center, there was a round table where several people were seated.