Chapter 15

Hideout...

Nimbus had been in the Brand's storage for over two weeks. His armor had been removed and placed inside some boxes to avoid drawing attention. He knew he couldn't blend in with the guards; they probably all knew each other. He would never again drink and forget about his duties.

He limited himself to staying deep in the storage, behind some stacks of boxes and shelves filled with food. When someone approached, he simply stayed behind things, and if someone got too close, he would quietly run between one and another.

On the first day he hid after boarding the ship, he woke up to the strong sound of the turbines working at full throttle. The ship's constant shaking made his stomach churn. After a few minutes of staring at the ceiling and experiencing the worst hangover of his life, he realized what he had done.

One day, more than five people descended into the area, three women and a man, all carrying clipboards.

— This captain is crazy; I've never seen someone take inventory two weeks into a journey — the man complained, and Nimbus noticed that he wouldn't be able to stay hidden from five people if they were going to count everything around. To put an end to it, Nimbus came out from behind the stack of boxes where he was hiding and stood in the middle of the corridor. Immediately, he was spotted.

— Hey, who are you? How did you get in here? — one of the men asked the moment he saw him.

— I've never seen him around here; he definitely doesn't work in the kitchen — a woman commented.

— What are you doing here? Explain yourself! — The man approached and grabbed Nimbus by the forearm.

— Relax, I was carrying the boxes and stayed around here — Nimbus replied.

— What do you mean? How long have you been here?

— Well, since we departed.

— What a horror, he's a stowaway — one of the women exclaimed.

That's how the whole confusion started. The guards were called, and Nimbus was taken to the command bridge where the captain was. Now, Lonios had brought him to his cabin, and he was so furious that he hadn't said anything during the entire journey. He practically pushed Nimbus into the cabin and began to speak.

— Nimbus, what were you thinking when you hid inside this ship? Do you know the danger of this mission? Do you realize the madness you've done? Out of a dozen ships that depart alone through the ether, only half reach their destination. We have a fifty percent chance of dying on this journey, Nimbus. What I taught you, did it mean nothing to you? It went in one ear and out the other. That must be it; you haven't learned anything from what I taught you. Now I don't know if you were the right person for me to take as an apprentice; I really don't know.

Nimbus said nothing, just held himself as best he could, but he couldn't hold back, and tears streamed down his face.

— Nimbus, you don't understand the danger you're in. There are things in the ether that I can't even protect you from. And we're just two ships; if a large enough ether monster attacks us, everything will be lost. We won't be able to do anything. It will sink both ships. — Lonios approached the boy, placed both hands on his shoulders, and as he spoke, he bent down a bit, coming face to face with him.

— I'm sorry, Master. — Nimbus continued to cry softly.

Lonios let out a deep sigh and spoke again as he walked back and forth in the cabin, one hand on his forehead.

— Alright, since we can't go back, I'll have to find something for you to do; everyone works here. Let me see, they won't accept you as a soldier; the group is already closed. I think I'll take you to Dr. Henry, but first, tell me, how did you manage to get in here?

Nimbus, still a bit embarrassed and with his head down, wiped away his tears and began to tell the story of how he was mistaken for a guard, and he seized the opportunity, but he omitted the drinking part. As he told the story, Lonios began to guide him through the corridors.

— Curse it! I shouldn't have taught you about how important it is to seize opportunities — Lonios tried to calm his apprentice. After a few more corridors and staircases that Nimbus couldn't identify, they reached a dimly lit room, but with a lot of noise. It was very large, occupying more than half of the ship, and throughout its length, there were huge metal structures resembling boxes that Nimbus was unfamiliar with. Once there, Lonios asked one of the many men walking around in the area:

— Where is Dr. Henry? — The man just pointed to a corner, and Lonios led Nimbus there.

Arriving at the location, the knight waved to a man who was about forty years old, a bit overweight, bald with hair only on the sides of his head. He wore an oily jumpsuit, and underneath, a tank top that revealed his very strong arms and chest. He recognized Lonios and approached.

— Sir Lonios, what brings you to my engineering? If I'm not mistaken, I only saw you around here when the ship was introduced to you. — It was almost impossible to hear what the man was saying because the sound of the machines working was very loud.

— True, I'm not very interested in this part of the ships; I don't like the noise. Can we talk in a quieter place?

— Certainly, follow me. — He walked to a corner and entered a room where the noise was lower. Once there, he removed earplugs from his ears. — How can I help you, Sir Lonios?

— Dr. Henry, this is my squire, Nimbus. He sneaked onto this ship and was only discovered now.

— Ahh! So that's the reason for all the commotion with the guards. — He chuckled and shook hands with Nimbus, introducing himself. — Pleasure, I'm Dr. Henry Motigomeri.

— Yes, that's him. — Lonios flashed a broad smile at the Doctor. — But the captain demands that he has a job here on the Brand. Do you happen to have a spot in your team for him?

— Of course, no problem. We always need more people here; the work never ends. Another pair of hands would be very welcome. — The old man looked at Nimbus analytically.

— Well, I won't have to worry about that then. — After saying that, Lonios turned toward Nimbus. — Don't think you'll stop your training. You've been without practice for too long. Every day, when your shift ends, come find me. Understood? Alright then, see you later, Nimbus. — The knight turned to Dr. Henry. — He's all yours, Doctor. Goodbye for now. — Then he quickly left.

⸸ ⸸‌ ⸸‌