Capítulo 28

Heroic sacrifice...

Elisis, along with Sir Adon and Lonios, was outraged by the captain and officers of the Peregrino for cowardly executing the surrendered pirates. They avoided contact with the captain as much as possible, and the days passed.

Elisis was very happy to be able to date Valeros, but they did so in secret. No one knew about their secret meetings, but when she wasn't with him, she felt lonely. Nimbus had distanced himself from her definitively after his failed attempt to confess his feelings.

It had been a very sad day for Elisis, but she knew it would happen since she deliberately used the boy to make Valeros jealous. However, she didn't anticipate that this day would be so traumatizing even for her. It was true that she was developing a certain attraction to the boy, and if Valeros hadn't succumbed to her charms, Nimbus would be a possibility today. But that was now in the past, and, according to her mother, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

Time passed, and the attraction between her and Valeros grew, almost reaching the point of them having a sexual relationship. Elisis was almost giving in to Valeros' advances in her room when she remembered her mother's words: a good Amazon at her age should remain a virgin while her age allowed. This would be a significant asset and a trump card for missions where she needed to pose as a maiden. If she lost that, a vast range of missions would be lost forever, and she would be severely reprimanded by her mother and mentor, something she couldn't let happen. Her mother was the person she feared most in the world, and she knew how to be cruel in her lessons.

The bells rang again. Nimbus knew that two tolls meant pirates ahead, and he also knew he wouldn't participate. Nevertheless, he went to his quarters, put on his leather armor, and now he was on the command bridge accompanied by Sir Adon, Elisis, Valeros, and Lonios. They were all looking at a pirate ship sailing ahead of them.

— Another one to chase — the Captain spoke, recalling his last pursuit, where he executed that maneuver that was already considered legendary by the crew.

— I'm not sure, Captain, this ship doesn't seem to be fleeing — Sir Adon warned the captain.

— You're getting too old, Sir Adon, could it be that you're losing your mind? Damn it, they only gave me the worst for this ship. It's a miracle I can still sail with a bunch like this.

Sir Adon, as usual, ignored the captain's comment; apparently, he preferred to avoid conflicts. After all, it was his last voyage, and the captain seemed to have noticed it, often humiliating him and the other knights by extension.

— I think Sir Adon is right; the pirates are maneuvering. They're turning towards us — Valeros spoke with a smile on his face, showing that his master was correct.

— That's concerning. Pirates don't usually face ships in numerical disadvantage — Lonios said. Nimbus knew this expression of concern well from his master. — Nimbus, I think it's best for you to go down to my cabin when the fight begins.

Nimbus nodded, avoiding speaking in tense situations like this. He imagined that if he did, he would only be a hindrance.

— It must be a group of elite pirates — Sir Adon spoke, equally worried as Lonios.

— Should I alert the guards? — Valeros noticed this and adopted a more serious posture.

— Yes, put them on maximum alert — Adon replied, and Nimbus realized that the situation was more desperate than it seemed.

Tense minutes passed. As the pirate ship was faster, it maneuvered and began to sail in circles around the Brand and Peregrino. Imitating the enemy, the captain ordered the same, and Peregrino apparently adopted the same posture. Now the three ships were circling each other.