Chapter 3

Her eyes were the first thing I noticed. I thought they looked like eyes that deserved to be painted, every detail captured. They warranted being made immortal and deserved to be showcased at the most famous of museums.

If I had any talent in art I would've already been furiously painting them, from the second I got home while they were still fresh in my memory. At the same time I did not think I could've ever forgotten them, in all of my 24 years I had never seen eyes that had left such a lasting impression on me.

It wasn't just the slight almond shape of them, or the upwards tilt they had at the corners. I think it was the emptiness in them, that haunted look. That made me glance at her twice. She was lost in thought, that much I could tell. And paired with the slight downwards tilt of her full pink lips I wondered what made her look so sad.

She was singlehandedly the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. Despite her forlorn look I was instantly drawn towards her.

When I had first spoken to her and woken her up from her day dreaming, and she set those brown eyes upon me. It was just few seconds but it felt as if the universe had been irrevocably changed. Because that's what I was. The world had tilted on its axis. The moon sang. The stars I had been obsessed with since boyhood, forever changed, perhaps even rearranged into new constellations. At least that's what it felt like until she glanced away, and made room for me to sit.

I could tell that she was shy and reserved throughout our interaction, maybe she hadn't felt the earth shake and the skies change like I had. Either way all I knew was that I was now as helpless as the ocean, following the moon around hoping to catch her attention. Hoping she would look down into the waters and see me wreaking havoc on the seas in her wake.

But when she got a little more comfortable and had dived into the history of the university, her passion shined through, it was like watching a flower open its petals, and bloom. I knew then, she was as multifaceted as a poem. Like a puzzle you have to piece together to understand the whole of. And when she had smiled when I asked for her number, not even the moon could compare to her brightness.

I had been at my penthouse apartment for a few hours and I still couldn't stop thinking about her. I debated shooting her a text, but I didn't want to come of too strong. I paced the kitchen waiting for my meal to heat up, staring at her contact in my phone. I didn't like that it only had her name on it. I decided to add the yellow sunflower next to it.

The microwave went of and I took out the lasagna I had made last night. I took a bite but everything seemed flavorless, after the day spent in her presence. I decided to text her anyways. Our next class was tomorrow afternoon and I didn't want her to think that our whole friendship would be planted, watered and would grow inside those school halls.

Archer: I just wanted to thank you for your time and for showing me around today. I'll see you at class tomorrow.

She replied after about five minutes. Five minutes which I had spent pacing, my food forgotten on the table.

Layla: You don't have to thank me, It was nothing. I'll see you tomorrow :)

That she added a smiley to the end of her text made me smile like a school boy experiencing his first crush.

Archer: Sweet dreams Layla 🌼