Chapter 15

I slowly opened my eyes, the brightness from the window blinding me for a second. I rubbed my face to force myself awake.

I took note that I was warm and comfortable, laying on my side with my head on something hard. A warm hand tangled in my hair I turned slowly and looked up.

Archer was sleeping sitting up and his head was in an uncomfortable position resting on the back of the sofa. I suddenly felt guilty, he had been laying in an uncomfortable position all night because I fell asleep on him.

I slowly rose to my knees as to not disturb him and placed a small pillow under his head, it was a heavy  and a feat that I managed to lift it with one arm and not wake him.

I decided to go in the kitchen and make him breakfast as a thanks for last nights dinner and the magical place he had taken me too. Upon opening his fridge, it was stacked with food. A far cry from my own flat. He had a section for vegetables, canned drinks, stacks of milk. How the hell could he eat all of that by himself?

I chose some eggs, turkey bacon, some vegetables and toast. I wasn't much of a cook but I was a pro at making eggs. Most of my childhood was spent eating eggs as a substitute for other proteins.

My old neighbor a man in his mid 40's had two chickens in his yard. He was a single father to two daughters who liked to paint. When I was about 13 he asked me to babysit his daughters. And to teach them to paint illusions and all I knew about painting and in return I would get eggs, I still don't know how he knew I could paint. 

In a town where not a lot of people had extra money to splurge on most things were limited to trade.

I would've done it for free. But I had to eat something and with my mothers main focus being drugs I took him up on his offer. The whole family were sweet and along the way I think they became a sort of a relief and escape from my own house. By the time I was leaving the little girls had grown into teenagers. But I still 'babysat' them, because we had all grown as close as we could over the years. And I think Mr. Hamlinton didn't mind loosing a few eggs a week.

I looked at the clock above the oven it was 9:30am. I hoped he slept a little longer so I could finish everything. I started on the turkey bacon. I didn't really eat such things, but I decided Archer might appreciate it if he had bought it. While that was frying I whisked the eggs, added a splash of milk, some seasonings and cut up some mushrooms and spinach.

I decided to start by throwing the mushrooms in the pan first, I think they would need to be soft before adding anything else.

By the time breakfast was done, the island set, and the dishes I'd used done. I was debating on if I should wake Archer or save him a plate. I stood hesitant in middle of the kitchen when I saw him start to stir, I let out a breath of relief. Some people weren't morning people and I was glad that I hadn't been the one to wake him.

He quickly snapped his head towards me as if he felt my presence and knew exactly where I was stood. He looked confused.

"Morning, I made breakfast. Come have a seat"
I smiled.

"Morning baby, you did? You really didn't have to." He started rising from the sofa without a care in the world.

My breath hitched, the resulting blush that came over me made me want to melt into a puddle. His raspy voice and that word in combination made my insides feel like a stampede of feral animals where having a party.

I think his brain was still foggy from sleep as he didn't comment on it. Or maybe it was just an American thing? Like how people here sometimes called everyone "love".

I cleared my throat as he approached and avoided his eyes. "It's okay I didn't mind."

We took our seats at the same time.

"Wow, this looks really good." He said looking around at what he would choose first.

"Yeah?" I asked hesitantly, my cheeks burning "I mean the bacon is a little burnt." In truth it was an understatement, it was burnt to the crisp, and getting the grease out of the pan took a while.

He chuckled shrugging, "I don't mind, it adds more flavor, I appreciate any meal you would've made. Regardless of if it was all burnt."

"That's good seeing as I can't cook much else." I said a little dejection seeping through my voice.

"I can teach you if you want, I am by no means a chef. But I know a thing or two." He said.

"Really?" Maybe if he taught me, I could stop living of off noodles and honestly quite crap food. Not that I could afford to splurge on nutritious food living of off of student loans. But maybe in the future I could take him up on his offer. And I wouldn't have to waste food because I'd burnt it. I was about to say something less detrimental to my pride. When he picked up his fork.

"Yeah no worries, let's eat." He took a bite of the omelette first. And started nodding his head as we'd done last night.

I giggled "I see that sleep didn't help with your thieving tendencies." I joked.

He swallowed " I liked your rating system, nodding really conveys the standards of the meal. But in truth it was really good, you'll make a great little cook mentee." He added with amusement.

"Okay sensei." I said sarcastically eating my food.

It wasn't until I tried a piece of bacon that I knew I had a long road ahead of me in my cooking journey.