Chapter 25

After class we went to Archers flat to wait for Kimberly to come over. And he made us some focaccia but this time cut them into sandwiches and added some pesto and shredded chicken in it before putting it in a panini press and lastly adding some lettuce.

"Mmm, this is probably the best thing I've eaten since your stir fry." I nodded my tastebuds dancing happily.

Archer looked surprised, "You didn't like the gala dinner?" He asked taking a bite.

"It was good, but I like your food better." I shrugged looking away from him while taking another bite.

"I'll make you whatever you want then." He chuckled.

"Where did you learn to cook?" I asked genuinely intrigued.

"From my grandma on my moms side." He shook his head sadly. "She died about 9 years ago, but I grew up with her around me all my life. We were inseparable, she used to make all the food in the house. Neither of my parents are good cooks. So she used to jump in and force her food on us all. I spent a big portion of my childhood with her in the kitchen." He sighed

"The saddest part is probably that she never got to meet Kimberly though, I know they would've loved each other. I think that's also why I moved with them, I didn't want Kimberly growing up alone. The only silver lining was that Kimberly was born on my grandma's birthday a year after her passing. I think that's a sign that maybe they did meet somewhere after all." His eyebrows were narrowed and his mouth was in a straight line.

I tamped down my own emotions, reaching for his hand, I stroking it softly, in what I hoped was a soothing motion. "Archer... I am so sorry, I'm sure she would've been proud of the man you have become. And she would've absolutely loved Kimberly just as she did you." I wanted to get him back from wherever his mind had went, "she's probably happy that you're carrying on the tradition of forcing your food on to people" I said hoping to make him laugh.

He barked out a laugh, " yeah, you're right that's definitely where I get it from."

I was now smiling my heart feeling lighter that I managed to make him laugh, "if you keep it up I won't be able to fit in my jeans anymore."

Before he could reply the elevator dinged open and little Kimberly came skipping in, " Layla!" She exclaimed running towards me. I quickly got out of the high chair I was sitting in so she wouldn't hurt herself, because she didn't give any indication that she was going to stop.

She ran into my legs almost tackling me to the floor but thankfully Archer had quick reflexes and had also gotten up. His hard chest now against my back, it felt like leaning against a pillar, his whole body was hard, and towering over me.

But unlike a pillar made out of stone, he was warm and when he grabbed my waist with both of his big hands to steady me further. I was certain it was more likely that I ended up on the floor by fainting, rather than Kimberlys small body flying into me.

I quickly remembered myself, and wrapped my arms around Kimberlys shoulders, " Hi Kimberly! You're happy to see me." I chuckled. Archer had unfortunately taken a step back now that he was sure we wouldn't topple over.

I heard the elevator close, and looked up and met Alice's soft eyes a smile on her lips her blonde hair perfectly styled. "Well don't y'all look like a happy little family."

Archer sighed out an embarrassed "Mom..."

She chuckled and I felt a small blush creep on my face, "Hi Alice".

"Hello dear" she went over and gave Archer a kiss on the cheek, by now Kimberly had let go of my legs and was gazing up at me with star struck eyes. Alice approached me and gave me a tight motherly hug. It made my stomach fall and a lump to form in my throat so I closed my eyes wishing this heavy feeling away.

She smelled like her son but a feminine version, laundry detergent, citrus, leather and wild flowers. She pulled away after a moment longer than was socially acceptable, probably sensing that I didn't want to let go. I cleared my throat blinking away the the slight wetness that had surfaced to my eyes and reddened my nose hoping my desperate longing for a mother figure hadn't shown.

I looked down hoping to further hide my feelings and Kimberly caught my eye, she was now frowning, silently observing me almost like her father had done. "Why are you sad Layla?" she questioned innocently her head tilted to the side.

I could feel both Archer and his mother staring searchingly at me, now. Kimberly was a bit too perceptive for her age. A flush came over my face. Now I was both embarrassed and uncomfortable.

I opened my mouth to deny it but closed it again. I had stalled for too long and I was now debating on if I should lie, and if I did so what should I say?
I decided to go for a half truth, "I just miss my mum." I explained. I mean it wasn't a lie, I did miss her and the person she could've been before she wasted her potential on the drugs. I would've liked the chance to get to know her.

Alice, let out a small "Oh, honey"

Archers hand reached for me, his hand warming a portion of my back and rubbing it slowly.

"Kimberly why don't you go put your schoolbag in your room, and get changed for the movies." Just with those words Kimberly seemed to have forgotten her previous words.

Alice cleared her throat, "well I should get going kids, I have to get to the office. Call if you need anything." She reached for my hand squeezing it, and gave me a motherly smile that stabbed at my heart.

"Layla we should get our nails done sometime. Archer, be a dear and text me Laylas number." She inched towards the elevator and both me and Archer could do nothing but nod like two bobble heads.

When she left Archer turned towards me, running his fingers across my cheek tenderly. I didn't want to look at him so I kept my eyes on his chest.

"Layla" he said cautiously.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me." I wanted to melt through the floor and my cheeks weren't helping.

"Hey, it's fine. Don't ever apologize for your feelings, okay?" He rubbed my arms soothingly, I hadn't even realized they had been laying tense at my side. I hadn't even realized I had tensed up, like my body was unconsciously gearing up for a fight.

He added, "we don't have to go to the movies if you don't feel up for it, we could stay here or I could take you home?"

I shook my head still not looking at him, "No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ruin your whole day. Please just ignore it."

"Layla... baby, look at me." He grabbed my chin with his thumb and forefinger, angling my face up towards his. His eyes looked so sad for me.

The reason why I hadn't wanted to look at him filling my eyes. I had tried so hard to blink my tears away, but Alice's hug had triggered a yearning so deep in me it made my heart hurt and my throat to burn with emotion.

I looked at the ceiling wishing my tears away my lips wobbling, "I'm sorry" I said again.

Archer reached for me and embraced me in his arms, he tucked me against against his chest, one arm stroking my back and his other hand cupping the back of my neck stroking his thumb along my skin.

He just held me quietly against him for a few minutes. Like he was trying to create a barrier between me and the world so that it couldn't hurt me further. Little did he know my bleeding heart and I was my worst enemy.