Chapter 44

I had been getting ready by 9:30 now it was almost 11 and I was panicking over what to wear, I had done my hair deciding to wear it down and a light covering of make up but with a winged eyeliner, kohled waterline and mascara. I think the heave eye makeup turned it a more nighttime look.

Now came the hard part, I only had a few day dresses so it was either that, or jeans and a nice top. But I felt like majority of the girls at club wore dresses and I didn't want to stick out.

I went through my options until I found a dress buried deep inside one of my drawers. It was a dark sage green dress with a corset like material around the bust and mid section, the bottom was a layered v-line cut with ruffles that moved along with every step you took. It had two slim straps as well so I wasn't at risk of flashing anyone with too much movement. I remembered buying this dress at a thrift store for less than £14 a few months ago.

I decided to wear the shoes Archer had gotten me and the clutch, I sprayed some perfume and just as I was ready, a knock came from the door and I hurried to open it. Archer stood at the other side, and as soon as he saw me his jaw went slack.

He was wearing a black slightly loose button down shirt, the first few buttons popped open, his pale strong chest on display. With black straight slacks, his hair was tastefully styled and he had sprayed signature cologne that smelled really good.

"Hi," I greeted my voice coming out soft.

"Hey," he sounded breathless.

I cleared my throat, "should we go?"

"Yeah, yes. After you." He shook his head and stretched his arm out, I quickly locked my door and walked down the hallway with him beside me.

"You look really good." I said after a few drawn out seconds of silence.

"Thank you, and you look..." he shook his head again "I don't even have the words for it. The closest I can come up with is 'divine'"

I chuckled "Thank you, Archer." When we reached the car he opened the passenger door for me, I was slightly surprised. I thought that Connor would be sitting there.

I sat down, and instantly a head popped up from the back seat. I startled, "Well now I see why he's so crazy about you." Who I assumed was Connor said in a slight southern drawl I hadn't picked up from Archer or any of his family.

"Hi, I'm Layla." I extended my hand for him to shake.

He looked at it and scoffed, " I know who you are," when he didn't take my hand it got awkward just holding it in the air so I placed it on my lap.

Archer got in the car. "Layla this is Connor. Connor this is Layla." He said as if it wasn't obvious.

Connor looked like the typical American bad boy, with black hair that was cut at the sides, piercing green eyes. A deep tan that made his eyes quite unnerving. He was also muscular and tall, I assumed, from his legs looking like they were in an uncomfortable position. You could say that he was conventionally attractive.

"Yeah I gathered." Connor said now leaning back in the middle seat.

Archer sighed, "Don't mind him he's just being bitchy about getting demoted to the back seat."

I didn't know if I should reply, but thankfully Connor butted in, "yeah, yeah can you just drive."

Archer rolled his eyes but started driving. "So Layla, apparently a club called Opium is supposed to be good. Is it?" Connor asked, I was happy he was trying to make conversation after that awkward start but this subject was unfortunately something I knew nothing about.

"I've never been clubbing here before," matter of fact I had never been to a club period, but I wasn't about to say that.

"You haven't? What have you been doing here for the past year, growing blackberries to make your own tea? Or something equally British." He laughed as if it was ridiculous.

"Don't be fucking rude Connor." I had never heard Archer swear as much as he had than in this conversation, picked at my nail beds absentmindedly.

"Sorry." He replied dryly. And added, "I forgot that there's a lady in the car so I have to act like a gentleman." Connor replied in a posh accent, that was incredibly bad.

I cleared my throat, "It was actually strawberries not blackberries, but they died before they could mature." I shrugged, which was true, I think one baby green strawberry even had mold on it.

Connor laughed like I had said the funniest thing ever, his laughter loud and quite grating on my ears. "You're funny." I didn't know if it was a compliment or if I was being paranoid with the slight sarcasm I detected.

"We're here." Archer said clipped as he parked the car.

"Finally," Connor sighed as he hurried out the car.

"I know he can be an asshole sometimes, if he bothers you further. Tell me okay?" Archer said seriously still sitting in the drivers seat.

I just nodded, because I probably wouldn't tell him and I didn't want to flat out lie. Archer came around to my side and opened the door. And Connor just had to comment, "Since when have you been Prince Charming Archer?"

"Dude, knock it off." Archer said as he held my hand, we approached the club and the line outside was criminal. It was cold, and I could see a few girls huddled together for warmth, I didn't think I'd have the patience to wait so long. Archer pulled me along to the front, and I tugged at his hand.

"Aren't we going to wait?" I asked confused.

"Nah, your man here already payed for a table for us." Connor said.

A table for what, I wanted to ask but I didn't want Connor to say anything about growing berries and practically call me a grandma again.

Connor spoke to the bouncers at the front and they removed the rope to let us in. We walked through a darker section of the already dark, packed club until we arrived to a few short stairs with another bouncer standing in front of it. Connor said something and the beefy bald man moved letting us through, Archer let me go in front of him until we arrived at the table.

It had a booth like sofa against the wall and a few fancy stools around a low glass table, so this was what Archer had payed for. We took a seat Archer and I at the sofa and Connor opposite us. We could see the whole dance floor, but most importantly the strobe lights were no longer stabbing us in the eyes.

"What do you want to drink?" Archer whispered in my ear so I could hear him,

"I don't know, whatever you recommend." Archer nodded and called over a woman standing nearby in a short skirt and a bralette. He said something to her and she sashayed away.

He had ordered us two bottles of champagne which Connor chugged one of, and a bottle of vodka and some soft drinks to go with it. I was on my second glass of the fuzzy alcohol when Connor wanted to do shots. We each grabbed one and threw it back. It honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, at that point Archer had to stop because he was driving.

I wasn't a big fan of alcohol, I would have a glass of wine on my birthdays, but the alcohol here went down the throat easily.