Chapter 53

I started the day off by making Layla breakfast and leaving it in the microwave for her. She was still in bed so I took the time to go on my computer. I looked for private therapy clinics and checked my emails and such. Poppy's place of employment had sent an email to inform me of them firing her. Good.

I was on my laptop for about an hour longer before Layla came downstairs, I could hear her soft footsteps against the heated floors now that she wore her slippers. But when she didn't wear them I had noticed that she always walked lightly on the tips of her toes, I could never hear her coming until she was upon me.

When she appeared with bed hair wearing my shirt the length of the arms covering her hands and as stunningly beautiful as she always was. A smile instantly took over my face, "Good morning."

"Morning." she came over and wrapped her arms around my neck from behind. "What are you doing?" She asked.

Thankfully I only had one open tab for google opened. "Nothing, I made some breakfast for you."

She kissed my cheek in thanks, and headed to heat up her food, after she ate, I decided to put on some music, so we could get ready to buy our gifts.

We spent the day at the shopping center. We each got a gift for each of my family members. However for Kimberly I'd already bought three tickets to Winter Wonderland in London, it was all she talked about and she was on break so I thought why not indulge her. Layla got her a teal pajamas set of The little mermaid.

I got my mother the new multifaceted Dyson. And Layla fussed over what to get her and ultimately decided on a brooch, that resembled a bee with a green gem in the middle the wings made out of white glittering studs. It was lovely and I think mom would really appreciate it. For my father I got a watch and she got him a new tie. I even got Connor the new ps5. Speaking of him I decided to give him a call tonight.

When we were done we picked up some food and drove home. We ate and then I made a bath for Layla. I know she liked swimming and this was the closest I could get in the middle of winter.

I took the time to shoot Connor a message about meeting tomorrow, and he replied within a second with a time and location. I spent another hour on my phone, then it was time to go to bed.

I lay in the dark with Layla wrapped around me, one of her legs thrown over my hip, I ran the pad of my thumb over her thigh absentmindedly. Her breathing had even out slightly, and I knew she was close to falling asleep. I suddenly felt a clustering of raised skin on the top of her thigh my eyebrows narrowed slightly. She instantly startled.

"Sorry," I said as she pushed my hand a little lower.

"It's fine." She settled her head against me again.

"Have you thought about what we talked about?" I asked after a while.

"Thought about what?" She replied.

"Therapy." I said bluntly.

"Yeah..." she whispered.

"And...?" I questioned, I didn't want to push her but it was important.

"I thought about it before," she started. "But just getting an initial appointment can take up to 3 months."

"We can look at other places, if you say yes. We can make an appointment right now ." I replied,

"That's. Archer. No." She started on different sentences not knowing which one to elaborate on. She sat up leaning on her elbow to face me in the dark. "Archer I won't let you pay for it."

"Why not?" I asked befuddled.

"Because, you've already done so much for me and it's expensive." She replied as if the answer was obvious.

"You've done equally as much for me, Layla. Money is not an issue. I want to pay for it, you know that I would do anything for you." I replied finding her smooth cheek in the dark.

"Is that what this it is, some kind of savior complex? Do you think I'm a charity case?" How she jumped to that conclusion I have no idea.

"What?" I turned my bedside light on so I could see her. "You know it isn't. I just want to help you. And you said so yourself just getting the initial appointment will take weeks. Why go that route when we could get a meeting as soon as you like?"

She laid down and pressed the palms of her hands into her eyes. "I'm sorry, I know it's not like that. I'm sorry." I pulled her hands away so I could see the eyes that I loved so much.

"It's fine. I-I just want to help you, if you need more time to think about it then say that please." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"I know you just want to help Archer." She turned on her side and buried face in my neck. "I'm sorry, I keep messing everything up."

I ran my fingers over her back gently. "You're allowed to mess up, my love. It's not the end of the world. I just want you to tell me what you're feeling so we can figure it out together. You're not alone anymore. Yeah?"

"I know, I have you now." She kissed my neck and my stomach flipped.