Chapter 55

"I know, baby. You don't have to say anything." She looked up at me with watery eyes, the tears pouring out of them creating two waterfalls in complete tandem. I wiped her tears and her eyes bounced between mine for a moment. And then her lips were on mine.

Her lips were so soft, it was like falling into a mountain of pillows after a long day. They tasted like the salty ocean from her tears and when her hands slid into my hair, her soft body pressed into mine. I couldn't hold myself back anymore. I kissed her back greedily, her lips parted with mine. The feel of her soft hesitant tongue, made heat rush through me. A small whimper escaped her and I pulled back.

Her breath escaped her haltingly, her fingers flew to trace her lips as they had done the first time. "I'm sorry," she uttered, "I-I don't know what came over me."

"Don't be, you can kiss me anytime you want." My lips raised in a self satisfied smirk, I was ecstatic that she had willingly kissed me. I had told myself I would wait for her to make the first move as to not scare her off again. To be patient.

Color rose to her cheeks and I wanted to savor this moment as much as I could.

"Thank you for all the gifts, no one's ever done something like that for me." She took a deep breath, "It really means a lot."

"Your gift, I knew you were talented... but this painting is unlike anything I have ever laid my eyes upon Layla." I cupped her face and another tear slipped from her eye. I kissed it away.

She closed her eyes and held my hand firmer against her cheek, "Archer," she sniffled.

"I will always do my best to give you everything you have ever wanted. You just say the word." I nodded with assurance. A promise to her.

"I don't need anything else, just you." Her breath halted again, "I just want you." She said softly looking into my eyes.

"You have me baby. Don't ever doubt that." I kissed her temple, "we have to start getting ready if we want to get there in time." We we're spending the day at my parents house.

                                           •••

We all gathered downstairs we were ready to go, Layla got ready in Kimberly's room. And when I saw her standing there in a red dress with thick bands over the shoulders that covered her breasts and wrapped around her ribs in a silk material. Then flared out in layers at her thighs. It made my stomach flip. She was so stunning. A blush crept on her cheeks from my heated gaze.

"You look absolutely divine." I exhaled as to not let all of my thoughts slip through my lips.

"Thank you, so do you." She replied shyly.

I was wearing black slacks and my green sweater my mom got us all last year. Connor wore a similar shirt, it was tradition that we wear the shirts we got the previous year, but seeing as Layla hadn't spent it with us she didn't have one. However I knew my mom would get her one to wear next year.

"Yes, the most stunning elf there ever was," Connor said sarcastically adding a dreamy sigh with his hands under his chin.

I laughed, "let's go before mom starts blowing up our phones."

The drive over was a short five minutes, they'd gotten a house as close as possible to me so we could spend as much time together as possible. When we entered the house with bags of gifts, Kimberly came barreling down the stairs squealing and hugging me across the stomach.

"Archer you're here." I picked her up and threw her in the air just how she liked. When I set her down she hugged Layla as if they hadn't seen each other just this past week. When it was Connors turn he picked her up and placed her on his shoulders. She squealed as if she was on a roller coaster. Her childish giggles filling the room.

My mom popped her head into the hallway, "well don't just stand there, come on in." She said as she disappeared. Probably to check on the catered food she had heating up. I had offered to cook as I did every year but she replied with 'holidays are meant for relaxing.' I ended up making deserts with Layla anyways, she enjoyed baking now.

We spent the day exchanging more gifts, Kimberly cried when she opened mine with her trip to winter wonderland, followed by her favorite My Little Pony character. We ate and laughed and ended the evening playing games. Layla and I won each game where you had to pair up. Mine and Connors minor argument was long forgotten and everyone had welcomed him back into the fold as if nothing had happened.

The thing I was most grateful for during this holiday was the person sitting beside me. That she hadn't lost herself despite everything she had been through. And I was so grateful to her that she had held on.