Chapter 1: Rebirth

Summary:

It begins with a rebirth.
___________________________________

The man felt like he was floating.

His body felt weightless and detached.

An innumerable amount of memories were flying by him.

The memories created a cacophony of noise and there was a distant sound of crying echoing around him.

The images continued to flash by. They overlapped one another, becoming more distorted and the sounds grew more incoherent.

Terrified screams and explosions permeated through the dark space.

He heard a name being spoken again and again.

Eren .

The images shifted and the name was followed by screams.

Anger and heightened grief.

Eren!

Eren Eren Eren.

He gazed upon the vague memories and saw a young child with green eyes and thick sandy hair.

A young boy who woke up alarmed crying from a nightmare.

His sister, a young girl with dark hair and overly mature eyes, peered down at him in concern.

He tried to reach forward to grasp the memory but it slipped away like streaming water.

The sounds of the girl's voice was drifting away.

He held onto her name desperately.

Mikasa.

He watched solemnly as the memories began shifting more rapidly, drifting past him. He knew deep down that those memories belonged to him. He saw himself as a young boy, standing in the cold, outside an old rundown cottage. His small form was bloodied and he was glaring angrily at his father as the man stared back at him with wide eyes.

Eyes that conveyed concern and held an inkling of fear.

He heard the distorted sound of his own voice, rebuking his father's claims that he had killed men .

I disposed of some dangerous beasts. Mere animals that just happened to resemble humans.

The memory slipped away before he could grasp it.

The image of his father disappeared like quicksand.

He did not get his name.

What was his father's name?