Chapter 28: Training Arc

Summary:

Sasuke learns that he's not as strong as he thought. Karin makes a proposition. Neji makes a choice.
___________________________________

The teen stood on the sand watching the ocean with a pensive expression. The wind ruffled his dark hair and the sound of a shout drew his attention. Uchiha Sasuke turned to the sound and he nodded at the sight of his cousin.

Shisui grinned in greeting and waved him over to their group. The shinobi stood in a loose circle, each waiting for the leader of Uzushio.

Uzumaki Naruto appeared silently, manifesting a meter away. He walked over, scroll in his hand with an anticipatory gleam in his eyes. Sasuke had been in the hidden village of Whirlpool for one month.

He was confined to bed rest mostly.

"Here are the listings," Naruto began.

He unraveled the scroll and held it out. Sasuke's eyes narrowed. The scroll detailed his new team.

"Oho, this is going to be interesting." Han drawled.

"Team 1, Uzumaki Naruto, Uchiha Sasuke and Sabaku no Gaara, Jounin sensei Uchiha Shisui."

"Team 2, Uzumaki Karin, Haku, Fuu, Jounin sensei Han and Utakata."

"This will be for a few months then we will have our own exams, to determine our skill level. We will work on what needs to be improved and add to our arsenal."

Sasuke stared at the listings. His teammates were chakra vessels with access to unlimited chakra.

He smirked.

He always liked a challenge.

"Let's split up."

"I call training on the beach for the first month!" Shisui chirped.

Sasuke sent his cousin a betrayed look. He was use to fighting in the woods with tall trees as camouflage. The beach was open with very little coverage.

"Very well, we'll take the mountain region." Utakata intoned, waving his team over.

"So," Shisui drawled with a sharp grin, his dark eye sparkling. "Are you fully healed little cousin?"

Sasuke glared and nodded. "Hn."

"Perfect! Now, I'm going to have you spar against one another. Don't hold back, I need to judge skills first. First Sasuke vs Naruto then Gaara vs Sasuke. Alright, go!"

Shisui and Gaara stepped back giving them a wide berth. Sasuke turned to his teammate with anticipation. Finally. He was going to fight his teammate with his entire arsenal. The desire for victory thrummed through him hotly.

He was going to win.

Sasuke laid on his back wheezing in pain. Naruto stood off to the side, watching him with an neutral expression.

He did not win.

"So," Gaara drawled as he stepped forward. "I can't kill him?"

Sasuke bristled angrily.

Shisui laughed while Naruto let out a snort.

"No, he's your teammate now. You'll actually have to cover his back and such."

"Tt, fine."

Sasuke glared ahead and pushed through the soreness in his body. His pride was incredibly damaged. Naruto had utterly destroyed him. He refused to let the same happen with Gaara. The suna-genin stepped forward and he raised his palms, commanding the acres and acres of sand on the beach.