Chapter 24: Six Tails

Summary:

Haku and Shisui set out on a retrieval mission. Naruto and Gaara discuss seals. A new character makes his entrance.
___________________________________

The masked nin landed on the thick branch and he tilted his head to the side calculatingly, sensing the landscape around him. He meandered through the thick trees, pausing at the edge of the familiar grounds.

He surveyed the Land of Water silently. The mist-nin gazed at the large gates of Kirigakure and he raised a hand to his partner, signalling him forward silently. The kitsune masked shinobi flashed next to him silently.

He crouched down on the branch and stared down at the thick mist. He turned to him in silent inquiry and the nin shook his head, indicating the absence of their target.

Haku landed silently on the ground and he moved his hands in a fast seal, pulling on a perfect henge. The sensation of his features shifting drew a grimace from him and he pulled off his mask. The nin took off his green cloak and folded it carefully.

He donned his disguise - a floral kimono that gave him a harmless appearance and he fastened his long locks in a loose braid. Shisui moved his hands in a fast seal and he took on the appearance of a nondescript brown haired, senior merchant.

He tucked his mask and robe in his bag and winked at his partner with a wrinkled visage. Haku shook his head in amusement and the pair made their way towards the gates of Kirigakure no sato.

The pair slipped past the guards undetected and meandered through the village, information gathering expertly. The rogue nin split up and covered separate grounds.

Haku headed to the local pub frequented by shinobi and he took a seat in the corner, smiling harmlessly at the patrons. He flagged the waitress and ordered a hot cup of sake, listening in on latest news and intel.

The sun sank in the horizon and the men grew more inebriated. Their tongues loosened and they shared information with their colleagues carelessly. Haku mentally catalogued the information and he slipped out of the pub undetected, leaving behind a few coins on the table.

He made his way to his meeting location and waited for his partner under the light of the moon. Shisui landed next to him silently. The Uchiha's disguise unravelled and he ran a callused hand through his curly locks.

"He's not here." Shisui noted.

Haku smiled. His brown eyes lit up in anticipation. "I'll do you one better. He's gone rogue."

Shisui's eye widened in shock and he turned to him with an expression of disbelief.

"Seriously?!" He whispered.

Haku nodded.

Shisui smirked. "That makes our job much easier. Now, where do we go from here?"

The mist-nin smiled. "I'm not one of the best trackers for nothing. I may have an idea where he might have retreated. Most rogue nin share the same networks."