Chapter 15: The Forest Of Death

Summary:

Team 7 begin the Chuunin Exams. Things go to hell very quickly.
___________________________________

Hyūga Neji stood in front of his bedroom mirror, gazing at his pale reflection in contemplative silence. His pale eyes darkened as he looked at the seal mark on his forehead.

He turned his gaze away in anger and picked up his hitae-ate, tying it tightly over his mark of suffering and forced servitude. He gazed towards the clock and took a deep breath, leaving his bedroom quietly.

He walked through the First Branch compound with an indifferent expression, making his way to the study of the clan head. He kept his gaze ahead and his face fell into a state of neutrality as he knocked on the office door and entered.

He gazed at the killer of his father and head of the Hyūga Clan - Hyūga Hiashi - His expression was carefully blank and he hid his animosity under a guise of indifference.

Neji lowered his pale gaze in respect and bowed deeply at the waist as he greeted the head of the Hyūga Clan. His cousin and heiress to the clan stood in the expansive office.

She was shaking and twiddling her thumbs anxiously. Hyūga Hiashi's voice echoed through the large room, droning on in a monotonous tone about clan expectations and clan pride.

Neji grit his teeth in anger. His hands were clasped tightly behind his back in subservience and his fingers tightened around his wrists in concealed hatred. The clan head moved forward and set a heavy hand on the older genin's shoulder, pressing down tightly. His pale gaze bore into his head.

"Remember, both of you are representing the Hyūga clan in the Chuunin Exams." Hiashi spoke lowly and without affection. His tone was crisp and dry.

He stepped back from Neji and regarded his daughter silently, his expression blank. "You must bring honour to the clan."

Hyūga Hinata shivered and lowered her head. "H-hai, o-otou-sama."

Hiashi dismissed them silently with a wave of his hand. Neji waited for his shaking cousin to move forward and he bowed deeply to the clan head in a false semblance of respect.

Hiashi closed the door to his study and the two Hyūga cousins walked through the compound in silence. As they exited the compound, Neji turned on his heel and moved away from his cousin's stifling presence.

He moved through the village hurriedly and headed towards the examination hall. He met up with his exuberant teammates as he approached the building. Rock Lee grinned brightly upon seeing him.

The green spandex-clad genin rushed towards him in a cheerful manner and bounced excitedly on his toes. Tenten shook her head fondly at their excitable teammate and regarded him with a kind smile. They fell into step next to him as they entered the examination hall.

The halls were crowded with genin from different villages. A group of genin loitered in a loose circle, gazing at the door of the examination room. Lee raced ahead excitedly, heading towards Room 301. He was blocked by two genin who appeared at the door and they shoved him back roughly.