Chapter 13: Men Don't Die

Summary:

Kakashi makes it to the bridge, Sakura has a reality check and Naruto awakens.
___________________________________

Hatake Kakashi lifted his gaze from his book as he heard the distant rumble from the village. His grey eye snapped towards the sound of a clone dissipating and his heart raced in apprehension.

Sasuke stumbled in alarm, staring at the spot where his blond teammate was tree-walking in confusion. Sakura gaped from where she was perched onto a high branch.

"Aha! Another clone! Seriously Uzumaki-kun!" She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

Kakashi slipped his book shut and tucked it into his vest pocket hurriedly. He turned to the distant sounds and gazed ahead.

"We need to go. Now!" He ordered sharply.

He turned briskly on his heel and moved quickly through the trees. His students rushed after him. Kakashi raced through the impoverished village. His eyes widened as he saw half of the bridge begin to collapse.

The Jounin pulled back as a massive water dragon rose from the currents and slammed through the rubble. Sakura cried out in alarm behind him and he picked up his speed.

He leaped through the fallen debris and made his way through the mist. His team of two genin followed closely behind him. A shrill scream tore through the mist and he turned to regard a shaken Sakura and a pale faced Sasuke in alarm.

The kunoichi pointed a shaking finger forward and Kakashi looked through the mist. His eyes widened in horror and his heart sank at the sight.

No.

Uzumaki Naruto laid in a pool of blood, unconscious and unmoving.

"No." He breathed in shock.

Kakashi turned to the Mist nin and rushed forward. His killing intent rose like a malevolent storm of rage and vengeance.

Haruno Sakura released a scream of terror and anguish as she saw the body of her teammate on the ground. She ran ahead on shaky legs and she fell to her knees immediately next to the dormant and soaked form of the blond genin. Her jade eyes grew moist at the gruesome and heart-wrenching sight.

She rested her shaky hands on Uzumaki's chest, pressing down on his gaping wounds and her wide eyes trailed over his battered body in fear. She felt sick at the smell of blood that permeated through the air.

She pressed down her hands harder in desperation, her mind racing with the rudimentary first aid she knew. Her body shook in fear and the hot tears slid down her cheeks as the blood kept seeping through her teammate's torn clothes.

She turned to Sasuke with wide eyes. "Sasuke-kun, t-there's too much b-blood."

The kunoichi turned to her wounded teammate and pressed down harder, her eyes falling to his torso and she blanched at the sight. There were deeper wounds on his abdomen. She could see the torn muscles and gaping holes that tore through his flesh and she grew faint at the gruesome and horrific sight.