Chapter 31: Abhorred words

Summary:

Itachi is plagued by words he hates most. He faces an opponent from his past and grows conflicted.
___________________________________

The blood rushed through his head. His senses were jumbled and his thoughts became incoherent. He forced a face of neutrality with every fiber of his being. The words echoed in his head in a cyclical loop - Don't stop me Itachi - and his heart plummeted down to his stomach.

The spoken words had been the exact ones that plagued him for many years. Words he heard in his waking and sleeping moments. Words that broke his heart and propelled the manifestation of his mangyakou.

He abhorred those three words.

Don't.

Stop.

Me.

The last ones spoken to him as he stood by the edge of the cliff, hand outstretched desperately as he watched his friend fall.

The bile rose in his throat and he blinked once and then twice, slowly.

The sounds of excitement and chatter behind him were lost to him. He heard his name faintly and he turned, staring at the leader of the Akatsuki. Itachi barely processed the orders and he nodded, turning on his heel and exited the room. He made his way through the hall in desperation, seeking out the departed masked figures.

It couldn't be possible.

His best friend was dead.

He watched him plummet to his death.

Shisui had made his choice.

He had chosen death.

The Uchiha heir made his way out of the dank hideout, staring off into the misty surroundings. Ame was an ugly place with a perpetually dark sky, thick with smog and heaviness. He stretched out his sensory abilities, searching desperately for a faint flicker. His breath hitched as he caught a small faint energy, deliberately unsuppressed - waiting, unmoving.

Itachi ran.

His body flickered with a desperation unfamiliar to him. He weaved through the landscape, running. Itachi neared the scene of carnage - the place where Hidan had fought the masked duo - and he stilled, landing on a thick branch.

There stood the tall figure in the clearing, hands tucked in his pocket. His green cloak moved with the breeze. He inclined his masked face up to the trees, staring directly at him. Itachi stared back in silence. He raised his kunai, holding it in his hand warily.

"Who are you?" He asked, eyes narrowing in hostility.

The memory flickered of a sad smiling teen, sightless eyes, tears of blood -arms stretched wide in acceptance, a definite fall into the rushing waters - SHISUI! - The man stared up at him, unmoving.