Chapter 34: Impenetrable Siege

Summary:

Naruto lays siege to Konoha.
___________________________________

Hatake Kakashi tore through the trees, rushing ahead with his heart in his throat. He raced back desperately to the village. The carrier had taken too long in his arrival and he feared the worst. It had been a long time since he set foot in the village. He prayed he was not too late.

He neared the edge of the Land of Fire and moved without rest. His search for his teacher's son would have to remain on hold until the new threat was eliminated.

A new enemy.

He hadn't expected it - not after Sound and Sand's invasion. Kakashi moved through the tall trees and his eyes widened as he saw the camps. There were too many enemies. Different villages with different allegiances lay in wait. He had to report to the Hokage immediately.

Kakashi moved hurriedly and he froze, feeling a massive killing intent. He ducked immediately and substituted his body with a log. He landed in a crouch and waited for his assailant to appear.

Kakashi felt the blood freeze in his vein as the enemy appeared before him - cloaked in a robe of red and black. He recognized him from the Bingo Books. He had a flee on sight order.

He was the harbinger of death to all his enemies and the Konoha shinobi felt terror engulf him.

His opponent was Kakuzu of the Akatsuki.

Jiraiya scowled in irritation as he eyed his opponents as they broke out of their hiding place. He was in a rush and the two were delaying him from his arrival to his village. The Hokage had demanded his arrival and he was significantly behind schedule.

He eyed the two Akatsuki members and his eyebrow twitched in irritation. He hated both their techniques and they were both slippery members. He stared warily at the puppet master and his explosive partner who hovered in the air over a clay bird.

"You know you both aren't enough to actually defeat me," he added airly, as he bit onto his thumb.

The blond man cackled and moved away as he summoned his toad.

"Oh we know, we only want to keep you occupied."

Jiraiya cursed angrily and he hopped onto his large toad. He hoped Kakashi had arrived safely - the man had rushed ahead in a frenzied run before the carrier even finished the entirety of the order. He hoped at least one of them would arrive in time to offer back up.

A man stood in front of the village gates of Konohagakure. He was alone. He wore a green cloak and a kitsune mask adorned his face. His tanned hands were in his pockets and he stared ahead at the group of guards who stiffened as he took a step forward.

"I believe you were expecting me," he drawled in a deep voice.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Nara Shikaku questioned, eyes dark.

The Nara head kept his body tense and ready. His face was neutral. He was informed of an impending threat and the forces within the village were at the ready but he did not have all the information. The Hokage was acting tight-lipped about the entire affair. It was a cause for concern. The Nara head eyed the figure searchingly. His appearance was completely hidden.