Chapter 17: Choice

Summary:

Team 7 pass the second phase of the Chuunin exams. Naruto and Gaara have a chat.

Notes:

Warning: Character Death.
___________________________________

Deep in the Forest of Death, a sand-nin turned on his heel, his jade eyes sought out the three chakra signatures hidden in the bushes. He stepped forward slowly, his killing intent rose like a menacing storm. The sand bristled underneath his fingertips and he commanded it with ease.

The sand sailed towards the bushes and the three chakra signatures moved out of their hiding spot. Three genin of Konoha stood in fear, their bodies trembled as he moved towards them with slow and measured steps. The two shinobi moved immediately, rushing to the trees and Gaara's eyes gleamed wickedly.

The kunoichi remained frozen on the ground. Her body was shaking in terror and her pale lavender eyes were wide. Gaara moved his hands in a practiced seal and joined his fingertips together.

He bent his fingers and the sand lunged forward - Desert Coffin - The sand shot towards the kunoichi and it engulfed her form entirely. She cried out in terror and he curled his fist slowly. Gaara relished in her teammates screams.

"Hinata!"

"Run!"

Gaara's hands curled into a lethal fist -Desert funeral- and the sand crushed her form entirely. The screams of despair filled the forest as he released his clenched fist. Her mangled and crushed form fell limply to the ground in a dead disfigured heap.

Gaara turned his blood-thirsty gaze towards the other two genin in the trees. His bloodlust seeped from his body in waves and he lunged forward.

The genin's eyes slid open tiredly and he stood up, cracking his stiff limbs and neck as he rolled them slowly. He pulled away from the cave wall and stepped inside with slow steps.

Naruto knelt down next to his two unconscious teammates and changed their dried towels with cool wet ones. He pressed a palm to Uchiha's forehead and his frown deepened. Uchiha was growing hotter and hotter with each passing hour. His condition was dire.

He slid his tired gaze to Haruno and watched her chest rise and fall in small, laboured breaths. He scrutinized her swollen and blistering skin and his eyes narrowed. She was in pain. He had no way to alleviate her suffering.

Naruto heaved a long sigh and turned on his heel. His sharp eyes slid down to the Heaven scroll tied to his belt and his brows furrowed in thought. He took off his retrieved vest and dropped it carelessly to the ground.

Naruto bent down and removed the added weights on his ankles, sliding his hands under the woollen mesh. The weights clattered noisily to the ground and created a small crater in the cave.

Naruto rolled his ankles a few times and hopped on his feet, adjusting to the lightness in his body. He nodded to himself and stepped out of the cave. He reached the tall walls of his birdcage with a concentrated frown. The genin pressed a tanned hand against the hot pulsing strings and focused on shifting them.