Chapter 27: The Uchiha Swords

Summary:

Shisui argues with Naruto. Sasuke awakens. Part II reaches a closure.
___________________________________

Uzumaki Naruto moved hurriedly through the trees. Uchiha was warm against his back. His hot uneven breaths brushed against his neck and he clenched his teeth. His breathing pattern was irregular - internal damage - broken ribs. Naruto frowned at the thought. Why was Uchiha so far away from Konoha? He should have been safe inside the village walls, resting in the hospital.

What happened?

The group moved hurriedly and the blond looked curiously towards the red haired kunoichi. She kept glancing his way with undisguised hope and blatant longing. It was a weird expression - one he'd never seen geared towards him. He arched an eyebrow questioningly as he moved hurriedly. The girl smiled a small hesitant smile and mouthed later.

Naruto nodded and turned back to the trees. He weaved through the landscape, moving at a quick pace. He listened to the steady heartbeat of his old teammate. Uchiha was back in his life. Naruto didn't know how to feel about that. It was pure chance that he stumbled upon him. He didn't hate his old teammate. He was dealt an awful card in life. He was kin to his best friend. He couldn't leave him, outnumbered and heavily injured.

He wouldn't do that to Shisui. Shisui deserved to have at least one family member alive, one who wasn't an unhinged madman. The blond moved quickly and he signalled to Han silently. The shinobi nodded and he released a gust of steam, shrouding them entirely from sight. He took the rear and covered their backs.

"There is no one," the kunoichi spoke in a low tone. "I'm a strong sensor, there aren't any chakra signatures for miles."

Naruto nodded.

"What's your name?" He asked.

The kunoichi paused.

She stared at him for a long contemplative moment.

"Karin."

Naruto nodded.

She took a deep breath and joined his side, eyeing the unconscious Sasuke with unmasked concern.

"My full name..." She hesitated for a beat.

Naruto frowned.

"My full name is Uzumaki Karin." She spoke softly.

Naruto stopped abruptly on the branch and he cursed as he jostled the unconscious Uchiha. He tightened his hold on the genin and released a relieved sigh as his teammate continued sleeping. He turned to the kunoichi with narrowed eyes. He took in the red hair, red crimson eyes and honest hope and anxiety on her face.

"I'm Uzumaki Naruto." He supplied.

Karin smiled and nodded. "Sasuke-kun's teammate? He talked about you."