Chapter 14: Involuntary Enrolment

Summary:

Team 7 gets enrolled in the Chuunin Exams involuntarily. They meet a team of sand shinobi.
___________________________________

The skies were dark and the sound of crickets and cicadas filtered through the quiet vicinity. The pale genin ran his third lap around the village. His hot breath fanned in front of him and he stopped briefly at the village gates to catch his breath.

He paused as he eyed the unfamiliar shinobi entering through the gates. Uchiha Sasuke narrowed his dark eyes, cataloguing the kiri-genin who walked through the gates. He turned on his heel, his mind spinning in thought.

The Chuunin Exams were here.

Sasuke gritted his teeth angrily and picked up his pace. He had failed entirely on their Wave mission. He had been unable to defeat the masked mist-nin and he was beaten unconscious. He had awoken in an familiar camp sight with Kakashi sensei and Sakura sitting next to his body.

Uzumaki was nowhere to be seen.

Sasuke had tried to interrogate his teammate about the dual swords when they returned to the village but the blond employed clones whenever he got too close. Sasuke grit his teeth angrily at the thought.

Uzumaki was a master of evasion. He was impossible to track down and he never engaged with him directly. He always vanished with a pop and ignored his presence entirely.

The dual katanas were Uchiha blades and he recognized those distinctive patterns. They belonged to the Uchiha Clan's golden resident and genius Uchiha Shisui. He had no idea why Uzumaki had them.

Was it theft or was he given the swords?

He needed answers but he didn't want to broach the topic around Sakura. It was clan business and Sakura was an outsider. Sasuke tsked under his breath in irritation and ran back to his compound, rushing through the open gates.

He would find out.

Uzumaki Naruto could not avoid him forever.

It was very early in the morning and Team 7 stood in the empty, unoccupied training fields. Haruno Sakura twirled a lock of pink hair between her fingertips idly as she listened quietly to the argument between her pale teammate and Kakashi sensei.

She pursed her lips tightly, her gaze sliding to the silent blond genin. Uzumaki was leaning against the tree. His arms were crossed over his chest and his sharp eyes were watching the argument unfold passively.

"I am telling you Sasuke-kun. None of you are ready." Kakashi sensei spoke, his arms were crossed over his chest as he stared down at the pale genin in exasperation.

"Other teams are going for it!" Sasuke argued. "Team 10, Team 8, Team 9! You can't let us be the only rookie team to not participate in the exams!"

"You're not ready. Do I need to remind you that you all nearly died in Wave?" Kakashi sensei  intoned lowly. "I saw Naruto-kun on the ground, bleeding out and unconscious. Sasuke-kun, you were out for an entire day. Sakura-chan, you couldn't do anything either. In the Chuunin Exams, you could die. It was only six months ago that you left the academy. I refuse, you're not going to participate in the Chuunin Exams."