Chapter 4: Shinobi Academy

Summary:

Naruto learns tree walking, meets a young shinobi, and attends the shinobi academy.
___________________________________

The skies were a dark gray and the silence resonated through the quiet village. It was the early hours of dawn. Naruto was dressed in thick layers of dark clothing, his overgrown golden hair hung loosely to his chin in messy waves.

The boy ran laps around the village, his breath fogged in front of him. The melted snow and ice crunched underneath his feet as he jogged at a steady pace.

Months of diligent exercise had created changes in his body. He was seeing a great difference in his stamina, agility and physical strength. The silence of the early morning allowed him to sort through his thoughts and plan ahead for the day.

Naruto had snuck into the woods at the edge of the village continuously and spent a few hours each week stocking on fish from the streaming river. He found that hunting for food was easier and less hazardous than grocery shopping although it was more time consuming.

Naruto ended his daily run by reaching the village gates. Konoha was a very large village and his current stamina only allowed him to cycle the village three times in total. He paused, resting his hands on his knees as he took deep long breaths, wiping the sweat from his forehead. He eyed the looming gates of the village silently.

He stared at the pathway that led outside the village for a long moment. 

Naruto set down his book on Chakra Manipulation , depositing it on his bag and stood up with a determined expression. He stretched as he prepared his body for his tree walking exercise. He was in the thick woods at the edge of Konoha, standing away from the streaming river. The boy closed his eyes and breathed deeply, sensing the tendrils of chakra respond to him as he put his hands together in a quick seal.

Naruto took a deep breath and stepped towards the tall trees, channeling his chakra to his feet and stepped onto the tree trunk. He took two steps before sliding off the surface and falling down. Naruto landed on his back with an omph and stared up at the tree in confusion.

He pulled the leaves out of his hair and stood up, channeling his chakra to the bottom of his feet again. He rushed forwards, running at a quick speed. He took five steps, climbing further up the surface before he began falling down again. The boy turned his body mid-air and landed on his feet, crouched down to his knees.

He gazed up at the damaged bark with a frown.

Naruto took a deep calming breath and drew back. He stuck to the surface longer, taking more measured steps before he began sliding down again.

Naruto gritted his teeth and tried again, and again, and again.

The hours passed by and the sun began sinking into the horizon, painting the skies in shades of orange, red and a hue of purple. He kept practicing relentlessly, ignoring the sheer exhaustion in his muscles and body.

Naruto felt a rare smile spread on his lips. His facial muscles twitched under the unfamiliar sensation of smiling as he stood upside down, his feet infused to the bottom of the thick tree branch. It was a rigorous and exhaustive practice and it took him three full days to master tree walking.