Chapter 26: Sasuke remembers

Summary:

Uzumaki Karin makes a choice. Sasuke remembers.

Notes:

Author's Note: I am taking liberty with Karin's background story and adjusting it to fit the story plot line. Please do not lose sleep over it if you are stickler for following canon to the dot. Happy Reading!
___________________________________

The genin pushed her glasses up her face and she rushed through the dimly lit halls of Orochimaru's hideout. She turned the corner and paused in front of the door. Uzumaki Karin took a deep breath and knocked lightly. She heard the low voice from inside and she pushed the door open, stepping in with light steps. Her red eyes fell on the newest recruit and she felt her breath hitch in surprise.

Pale skin, black locks, onyx eyes.

She recognized him from the Chuunin Exams.

Uchiha Sasuke.

"Who?" He arched a dark eyebrow, stepping away from his desk.

His room was like hers. Small, barely furnished, clean and impersonal. Karin stared at him silently. She knew enough about the Snake Sannin - she had been around far longer than the others - nearly as long as Kimimaro.

Orochimaru had been in Kusagakure for a long time. His hideout remained undiscovered by Grass Country and he had met her in her childhood. Report to me on Kusagakure's affairs. The orders were always simple but prior to the Konoha Chuunin Exams, he sent her a different scroll - a different mission: Uchiha Sasuke.

Karin was a formidable sensor - all she needed was to familiarize herself with the chakra signature and she would be able to locate the shinobi anywhere in the Elemental Nations. Keep your eyes and ears open - keep track of Uchiha Sasuke.

Sasuke was important.

He was Orochimaru's latest asset.

Karin swallowed her revulsion.

She hated the snake, she wasn't like the others - bright eyed and enamoured by him.

She wasn't like Kimimaro, ready to sacrifice his body for him. She wasn't like Dosu, or Kin, or Zaku, ready to obey his orders unquestioningly. She hid her hatred with a perfectly crafted smile and obeyed with deep regret. She had no choice but to follow orders, to live, to survive.

Karin stared at the genin - He was her age - She felt tired. She felt old for a twelve year old. She wasn't blind, she wasn't unaware. Uchiha Sasuke was going to die. The foolish moron had walked into a trap unknowingly, believing a false offer of power. Karin blinked rapidly at the thought. All Orochimaru's previous takeovers had failed but she had a feeling with this one...

This one would succeed. If she didn't interfere, Uchiha Sasuke would die.

"Oi," Sasuke spoke impatiently, crossing his arms over his chest. "I asked you a question, who are you?"