Ch. 27| Fireworks

Jeno's words kept repeating in my mind. If what he said was true, I should have actually thanked Heeseung. I was busy in my thoughts when someone bumped onto my shoulder.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she said, from beside me. "It's o—" My sentence got cut short when I saw the person wrapping his arm around the girl.

"Na Jaemin, how dare you?" I smacked his arm. "Who is she?" The girl asked him, "No way, is she your girlfriend?" Jaemin forced a smile at her.

"Can you please give us a moment?" His request was accepted when the girl replied, "Of course, you don't need to see me again."

The male gritted his teeth when she left. "What's wrong, Jiah? Why are you bothering me when you already have a boyfriend?"

I scoffed at his audacity. "Were you about to take me to your place last night?" Please deny. Please say no.

"Why? Do you wanna hang out at my place, tonight?" Jaemin stepped towards me, "I can make you have a good time, princess." I moved away from him. "It was hopeless of me to even ask you."

I shook my head in disappointment, walking away. I so not wanna wake up in his bed. It was getting dark but I could not find Heeseung anywhere.

I searched for him at almost every stall even though the campus was quite crowded at that time. Where are you, Lee?

I sighed in relief when I went to the basketball gym, seeing Sunghoon and his teammates together. My boyfriend was placing bets on basketball and laughing with his friends about it.

It had gotten dark already. Sunghoon walked towards me after finally spotting me. "Babe, I kept calling you the whole day. Why didn't you pick up? I was worried!"

He cupped my face, trying to take a look at my expression in dark. "I will talk to you about it later. For now just let me know where Heeseung is. I need to say something to him." I tried to maintain my poker face.

"Can it not wait? The firework show is going to start within a few minutes. I wanted to watch it with you." Sunghoon pressed, making me impatient. "You were playing with your friends just a minute before, Hoon. You can just keep doing that."

"I was worried about you babe, I promise. Then Heeseung said that he had taken you home last night—"

"And that didn't bother you?"

"What do you mean?" Sunghoon was serious now. I wanted to avoid this conversation at that moment but I somehow dragged myself into it. "I said we will talk later. I have a lot to say to you as well."

The male pursed his lips as if trying to absorb the things I just said. "He is practicing—in the field facing north—the smaller one."

Sunghoon unzipped his hoodie and slammed it on the floor before leaving the gym. He left even before I could. The rest of the team tried to mind their own business to make me feel less violated.

"He is gonna be okay once you kiss him," Jay said, coming up to me, "For now, do what is more important to you."

I nodded before heading to the basketball field. I let out a chuckle when I got there. He was wearing a black sleeveless undershirt and a pair of denim jeans. His jacket was lying on the ground, reminding me of Sunghoon getting mad at the gym.

Heeseung was dribbling nonstop before making shoots with intervals. Why don't these basketball players even notice that I'm here?

"Lee Heeseung is an idiot!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. "The fuck?" He cursed, finally dropping the ball. The ravenette laughed. I had never seen him laugh like this before.

His sweat droplet escaped his hair just to drip down his jaw. "You wanna play?" He asked with a smirk, wiping his lower face with the back of his hand. I shook my head, walking towards him. "Not even in your worst dreams."

"Then why are you here?" Even while desperately trying to look away, my eyes managed to find his bulged biceps. He was so buff that it felt as if he was almost twice the size of me.

"To watch the fireworks."

"Really?" Heeseung cocked his head to the side in sarcasm. "And there was no other spot to watch it in the whole campus? Or did you just want to spend time with me, sweetheart?"

"Thanks," the word left my lips with a deep exhale afterward. "What?" He was speechless. "You are not so bad after all," I replied instead of the actual answer.

"So now you are gonna break up with Sunghoon and hang out with me all the time?"

"Are you for real?" I muttered, laughing, "We both know you don't even want to hangout with me all the time. You are more interested in spending time with different girls rather than just one."

"What if you are wrong?"

My eyes widened hearing his words. A slight pang in my heart ruined everything for me. I stopped breathing at that moment. It was as if even the air was too heavy for me.

What if I lean in, again?

"You—"

"It started," Heeseung said, causing me to look upwards at the sky where he pointed.

My mouth left hanging at the sight of the vibrant firecrackers shooting up in the sky, whirling before bursting and shattering into a thousand sparks

After a few seconds, my gaze automatically shifted to Heeseung who was already staring at me with eyes I could not comprehend.

The colorful lights illuminated his face—his dark brown orbs that were shimmering—creating an indescribable magic spell—his lips that held a small  smile which had managed to capture me so strongly that I failed to take my eyes off of him.

"Don't look at me with those eyes, Jiah. It's getting harder holding myself back."

_________

Vote for the chapter please!

I want them to kiss under this firework display 😭😭😭 How was the chapter guys? What do you think is gonna happen next? Is Jiah gonna break up with Sunghoon?