Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Now that my brother's not here, away to college, nobody will be able to protect me; no one will be able to stop my abusive father. I used to love him, maybe I still do a little, I know it's buried deep down inside, but he beats me, and that's when my love for him fades that bit more. I am no longer 'daddy's little princess' I used to be.

I used to look up at him and tell myself that I want to make my daddy proud when I get older. I used to tell myself that I want to be like my dad when I grow but after all of these things he has done, I don't think that's still the case.

I walked into the cluttered kitchen and spotted my dad drinking from a bottle of beer, again. I tried to backtrack out of the room so he wouldn't spot me, but it was too late. The moment he saw me, his eyes narrowed slits.

Please don't.

I internally chanted to myself, but it was too late. He took a swing before my eyes could even register his movements, everything moved like a blur.

Suddenly, I felt a familiar sharp pain course through the right side of my face. He had punched me, again.

"Dad, please, stop." I pleaded, my vision getting blurry.

"Shut up bitch! You have no fucking right to tell me what to do. Unfortunately for you, I have the right to tell you what to fucking do, so I am telling you, no one should ever know about this. Whisper a word and you'll be black and blue all over!" He threatened, his index finger pointing shakily at me.

I let the tears stream down my face and nodded hesitantly. I started to back away slowly, before I ran up to my room and let my emotions overwhelm me. The tears flowed freely as an infinite number of thoughts ran through my mind.

I couldn't help but agree with my dad though, it was all my fault. If it wasn't for me being a selfish bitch, my mom wouldn't have died, but now, she's dead and the only person to blame is myself.

Flashback

I sprinted out of my room as soon as I heard the garage door open in the driveway.

"I'm home kids!" My mom shouted cheerfully from downstairs.

"Mommy! Mommy! I have a piano contest tomorrow. Will you come and watch me play? Pretty pleeease?" I squealed with excitement giving her my best puppy dog eyes.

She looked at me with adoration as I remember.

"Of course honey! I'd love to come, I'm so proud of you!" She cooed before giving me a light kiss on the cheek and hugging me.

"I love you mommy! You are the bestest mommy in the whole world." I sang, then gave her a sloppy kiss in return on the cheek.

"I love you too baby!" Mom simpered as she squeezed me tighter.

End of Flashback

I sobbed harder as I thought of that beautiful memory. That was the last time I saw my mom, I sometimes wish I could reverse our roles that day, so that I died, not her. I didn't even have the chance to say goodbye to her, the only thing she left me was a collection of haunting memories.

Next Day

Beeep

Beeep

Beeep

Beeep

I groaned loudly, knowing that it was the first day of the week, a school day. Monday sucks.

Though I was sort of happy, because I knew that I didn't have to face my dad for a whole day and that's kind of nice.

I scrambled out of my warm bed and started to get ready for school. I took a quick scalding shower, letting the hot water calm my jittery nerves. I dried my hair and wrapped the fluffy white towel around my body.

I advanced towards my closet and pulled out a pair of denim skinny jeans and a sunflower yellow tank top, pairing it with a cute white cardigan. I slipped them on hurriedly. I then put on some light make up, a layer of foundation that would be enough to cover the bruise that formed on the right side of my face, a flick of mascara and a smidge of lip gloss.

I wasn't really a fan of make up, I liked my face just the way it was. Though I made sure to apply some concealer for the finishing touch, using it to cover up the bruise situated on my cheek bone.

I didn't want anyone to know. One, because as soon as they knew, they would pity me, I hate pity. Two, I believed my dad's threat. And three I don't want others to treat me like I'm fragile.

I shook the pessimistic thoughts away and glanced at my watch to look at the time. I still had an hour before school started. I tip-toed towards our front door, escaping from my hung-over dad for the day. I scampered swiftly out of the house and wandered down the road.

Upon arriving at McDonald's, I was greeted by the earthy smell of freshly ground coffee beans, inhaling deeply through my nose. I shuffled towards the counter and ordered an egg muffin and a coffee.

I munched away at the breakfast muffin slowly, appreciating the delightful taste. Once finishing every last drop of coffee and every crumb of muffin, I looked at the time.

'Oh my god! There's only 5 minutes before school starts!' I screamed worriedly inside of my head.

I quickly exited McDonald's and literally ran all the way to school, sweat was beading on my face and I'm sure that my hair was sticking up everywhere, but I didn't care, because at that moment, the only thing on my mind was that I couldn't be late.

The moment I reached the entrance of my school, the bell rang.

Just in time, 9 o'clock on the dock.

I navigated my way to the office to get my schedule.

"Can I help you?" The middle aged woman kindly asked me.

"Uhm... I'd like to get my schedule please." I replied in a soft shy voice.

"Name please?" She requested, tipping her glasses slightly and offering me a warm smile.

"Cassidy Taylor." I mumbled softly.

"Here you go sweetie, have a good day!" She finished, a genuine smile plastered on her face.

I muttered a quiet 'thanks' and swiftly trundled out of the office. I took a peek at my schedule as I walked.

Period 1- Social Studies

Period 2- Homeroom

Period 3- Break

Period 4- Science

Period 5- English

Then-

THUMP

"Oww." I winced in pain, hitting into something similar to a concrete wall.

I flinched backwards a bit, placing my hand delicately over the bruise on my cheek from when my dad hit me; it had taken a bit of the blow when I stupidly walked into something. I looked up to see what I had bumped into.

The moment I saw, my facial expression morphed from embarrassment to horror. My eyes widened into saucers, I swear my eyeballs felt like they were going to pop out of their sockets.

Oh my fucking gorilla.