Chapter 30-Competition

Tyler POV
It's been two days since the "kiss" I gave E.L. I sighed as we drove to the performing hall in silence. E.L. was holding her cello close to her, while I was holding my violin on my lap. At the competition we decided we would play something E.L. wrote. I remember looking at the music for the first time, and I already saw a story play out. We would practice the song and E.L. would play with her heart, like she was experiencing the story her music made. She called it Five Secrets and Five Lies.

We got to the performance hall and we walked through the large doors of the huge auditorium. "Woah..." I said while looking at the seats that would soon be filled with many musical features and role models. They're coming to see people like us.

"Hey E.L., you still nervous?" I asked while looking at the large room.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." She responded also gazing at the large room.

I was surprised when E.L. grabbed my free hand and ran towards backstage smiling. Once we made it backstage, I looked around to see many other teens our age walking around holding instruments.

"Wow, these must be really good people to be in a place like this." I said.

"Hey look! It's Klara and Jackal!" E.L. said while dashing off towards the two.

I shook my head and sighed as I followed the girl. Why is she so childish around me? I thought. She's not like this with others, at least that's what everyone else tells me.

"Hi Jackal and Klara! It's been a while. Hey Jackal, did you win the last race you were in before we left? Sorry I couldn't see it." E.L. said quickly while hopping from foot to foot smiling.

"I-I um... Yeah I won." Jackal said once I came up to the two.

"Hey Klara and Jackal. Been a while." I said while E.L. turned around to face me.

"Tyler, you memorized the music right?" She asked.

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"I guess it's silly, but I want you to remember it for the rest of your life please!" She responded while smiling. "Let's go practice! See ya later Jackal and Klara!"

We got ready and practiced until the performance began. Our act was right after Klara's and Jackal's because we went to the same school. People performed one after the other and I looked down at the girl who was rocking from side to side while we waited for our turn.

After about thirty minutes into the performance, Klara and Jackal performed. We watched from behind the curtain as we watched them play. Klara was moving the viola bow fast while Jackal moved the bow much slower. They played together perfectly, as if they were one. I could see many colors around them. I could see so much pink and red around the two, though I don't think the red was towards each other.

The duo finished their performance and the entire audience applauded them for their performance. When the others played, they didn't get nearly as much recognition as that.

I took a deep breath and walked out onto the stage with E.L. beside me. E.L. sat down while I stood beside her holding up my violin. The lights focused on us and we began to play.

It started with me playing slightly moving the bow while making soft sounds on my lowest string. E.L. came in on the third measure and we played softly, as if it was a summer breeze. We stopped for one measure and went full force. We played together making it look like a couple dancing on opposite ends of the Earth, only tied together by the music we played. The boy reached out to the girl who was across the world dancing in a desert, while he danced I a forest filled with lush green. She stayed distant, not wanting to hurt him. She would dance towards the boy only to be brought back by a force. Her dance began to fall and night fell on the two only leaving shadow-like figures of the two. They danced and danced as our strings flew on the strings of our instruments. The couple reached out for each other finally able to almost touch each other. Their hands reached out, when the girl disappeared.

My eyes shot open and I looked at E.L. who was falling off the stage. Everything was in slow motion at this moment. E.L. was holing her cello, her hair falling behind her. Klara had her hand out as if she pushed E.L. I ran towards E.L. and reached out. She gave me a sad smile and she hit the concrete floor with a loud thud. Her cello was on her chest, the entire auditorium was mute to me when I saw her on the floor. I jumped down to sit dow beside her motionless body and grabbed the cello. I gently took it off of her and placed it down beside her along with my violin. My breathing grew faster as I held her in a hug. Then everything went black.