Chapter 31 - The Proposal

Yeah, it's what you think. I'm also intending on making this story long so don't worry if you think it's going to end soon. Author-chan =)

--------------------------

I broke away from the kiss as Matsuda walked through the door smiling. "Why are you so happy?" I asked.

"Can I put this on you Katori." He was holding a blindfold. I looked over to L who nodded. He tied it around my head and pulled me up onto my feet. Everything was black. Matsuda lead me to another chair which by the feel of it was a sofa. I smelt something burning as my blindfold was taken off. I could see Matsuda carefully balancing a cake with candles on it. He placed it on the table in front of me.

"Happy Birthday Katori." They all chimed.

"W-wow, you shouldn't have. Thank you guys so much." I had completely forgotten that it was my 19th birthday today. I had been working so much that I had lost track of time. I stared at the cake, it was so beautifully decorated and the candles were so fancy.

"Well go on, make a wish." I thought about what I wanted the most. I wanted to catch Kira and be finally able to be with L in peace. I blew out the candles and the room went dark. He went over and turned on the lights. "Where did you get this from." I asked Matsuda.

"I made it." L said quietly. "I hope you like it."

"Like it, I love it!" I squealed crushing him with a hug. I heard him chuckle lightly which turned into a dry cough.

"You can let go of me now, I can't breathe." He wheezed.

"Oh right, sorry." I let go and was handed a knife. I started to slice the cake but hit something hard in the middle. "Huh, what's that?" I cut a hole in the middle of the cake and looked inside. I could see a small velvet box. I dug my hand in and pulled it out then opened it. Inside was a ring. It had diamonds encrusted around the top and the gold was engraved. At the real top the gold weaved and merged into a slightly larger diamond. It shone in the light around us. My heart skipped a beat, I knew what it was, it was an engagement ring. My eyes started to water as I looked up at L. He held my hand with one hand and his other hand was cupped softly around my face. I stared into his dark eyes.

"I-I don't know how to say this." He begun. "B-but over the past few months I have developed very strong feelings for you (Y/N)." What, he was using my real name in front of the task force. "A-and for the first time in my life I have learned that pushing people away isn't always the best solution. Before I met you I had nothing to lose, but now I do. I-I can't function without you (Y/N), and I'm not just talking about work. I need you, and if I lose you I will have nothing to live for. (Y/N), you are my everything, my world."

"Oh L." I whispered ever so quietly. Tears started to go down my face, tears of happiness.

"So, so what I'm trying to say here is, well, w-w-will." He trailed off.

"Y-Yes." He immediately pulled me into a hug. The Task Force clapped with Matsuda crying of joy of course.

"Matsuda, pull yourself together." Aizawa said sternly.

"Sorry." He pouted. The hug was so tight, like he never wanted to let go. I wrapped my arms tightly around his back.

"(Y/N) I promise that I will solve this case, so we can be together in peace." He whispered into my ear. I pulled away and looked into his dark eyes. He took the ring out of the box and slipped it tenderly onto my finger. Then he moved forward and pressed his lips passionately onto mine. I couldn't believe what was happening, this was the best moment in my life.

Once the Kira Case is solved, once Light is brought to justice. Only then can I spend the rest of my life with him. The man I love, L.