Chapter 43 - Loyalties in Love

(1 am that night)

I woke up to someone gently stroking my hair. I opened my eyes into pitch blackness. After they had adjusted I could just see L who was sleeping. That was strange, who was stroking my hair. I couldn't turn around to see who it was as L's arms were wrapped around my waist and I did not want to disturb him. I reached behind me and aimlessly and started swiping my fist in the air.

"Ouch." It was Light, I had hit him in the face.

"Light, what the hell." I whispered annoyed. "What do you think you're doing." I heard him step back.

"(Y/N), I-I'm really sorry. It was just that you looked so cute sleeping there." I was not in the mood for this.

"Light, get this through your thick skull. I do not love you in that way, we are friends, best friends. But this seriously has to stop, for god's sake, I'm getting married the moment this investigation is over, to the man I love." I took a breath in. "So please do me a favour and stop trying to win me over because it's not going to work, trust me on that. I am way stubborner and level headed than you think." I took another breath in. "I don't want to ruin our friendship, it's really special to me, ok?" I heard him take another step back.

"Yeah, I understand (Y/N)." His voice was quiet and filled with sorrow. He padded silently back to his bed and turned to face the wall. All of a sudden, L's arms started to tighten around my waist. I saw a faint trickle of a tear running down his face. I cupped my hand over his cheek.

"What's wrong, are you alright." I said soothingly. He brought me closer to his body until our noses were touching. "You're crying." I gently wiped the tear from his cheek.

"I-I'm so h-happy." I smiled, though it was hard to see through the darkness.

"Why is that?"

"Because you're here with me. I heard what you said you know, a-and I love you very much. I'm 100% in love with everything about you. I'm in love about your personality, the way you are stubborn and can't be lead astray, a-and." He paused. "I think our Loyalties are in love."

"What do you mean by that." I whispered.

"It means that I am always loyal to you and you are always loyal to me. You proved that even more. A-and..."

"Oh shut up." I leant forward and kissed him blocking his words. "You don't have to say anything." I said as I pulled away. He brought my hand up and gently kissed the ring.

"To normal people, we are different. But to us, we are everything." His words stayed in my thoughts as I drifted off into a peaceful sleep knowing that the man who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with was right beside me.

(7 am)

I woke to see L's dark eyes searching my face. The bags under his eyes had ever so slightly faded but could only be noticed if you were looking for it. "Good morning (Y/N)."

"Good morning, L." I was about to say his real name but then realised it may not be the safest option with Light around, especially with him being one of the main suspects. The door flung open and Misa ran in. She threw herself onto Light who let out a faint scream of surprise.

"M-Misa?!" He said tiredly rubbing his eyes.

"Good morning Light." She beamed, giving him a toothy smile. She looked over at me and L then turned back to Light. "Light, why can't we be like (Y/N) and Ryuzaki."

"Misa, I told you already. I'm too busy."

"But not when you're sleeping!" She complained, I did agree on her with this. Even though Light didn't love her he could at least act like it.

"There's a difference Misa. (Y/N) and Ryuzaki are getting married."

"So what, that shouldn't make a difference."

"Well for starters, their getting married and we aren't."

"Wha." She threw he hands back I surprise then crossed her arms. She huffed.

"No Misa, I didn't mean it like that."

"Yeah whatever." Her voice turned cold, it was the complete opposite of her usual bubbly self. I groaned and started to roll over L, he wheezed as I compressed his chest. I then continued rolling until I hit the floor.

"It's too early for this." I groaned.