Chapter 13-Unanticipated.

"What?" Sandhya couldn't believe her ears.

"I said, I'm ready to do whatever you'd say." She elaborated.

"Amrita dear. Please don't stand like this. Come here." Vinay said immediately and Amrita nodded as she stepped in.

"Please sit." Requested Vinay and she compiled whilst sitting across her father.

"Amrita, are you sure about your decision?" He asked her.

Amrita frowned but eventually nodded in reply.

"Dear, Your mother and I would always want to see you happy after all you're the only child we have." He sniffed.

"We love you a lot Amu, and believe us because this is the best decision you could've ever taken for yourself." Sandhya placed her hand on her daughter's shoulders.

"Are you both done?" She stood up, clasping her arms while her parents gaped at her quizzically.

"Because even I've to say something." Her tone was clipped.

"What are you talking about?" Sandhya queried.

"First of all, I'm not doing this for you both. My only reason for this content is Ambar."

"I'm doing this for her and I'm here, in your room to remind you both about the promises which you made last night." She stated as she noticed her parents shocked faces.

"If I'm agreeing to marry that person then it's just for Ambar. For her future and her bright life for which you would be financing." She added pointing out her father.

"We already gave you the money last night, didn't we?" Sandhya voiced out.

"Yes, you did but that's not all". Amrita replied.

"What do you mean?". Vinay's voice croaked.

"The money isn't enough. I need something more from you both... Something which you never gave... rather which you never did."

"Be specific, Amrita." Sandhya scolded her daughter.

"I want you both to change your behaviour towards Ambar. I want you both to treat her the way you treat me. Give her the love, she has been missing all these years." They gasped as she announced.

"At least till the time she's here." Amrita added lastly.

"But..."
"Okay. We'll do that, anything else." Vinay interrupted his wife who was keen to protest.

"No." She said and turned to leave.

As the door closed, she heard her parents who had just started arguing.

------------------------------

"Mr. Verma! Yes, the files.... no I don't...." Nakul was on a call when his mother knocked in.

"Nakul!"

"Yes. Okay good." He hung up as she entered his study.

"You're working on this Sunday too."

"Mom. You know, I have lots of responsibilities and there are too many projects lined up now." He replied while he saw her eyes wet.

"Mom, have you been crying?" He stood up in panic.

"Oh, it's just that I've been missing the life we had before and now everything here looks so shattered and instead of fixing this, I'm leaving you alone to deal with it. I don't know how." She trailed as the words couldn't come out of her.

"Mom, I know it's difficult but this isn't something which I can't do. Mom, believe me. I'll do it on my own. Just like Dad and Bhai." He caressed her back of the palm.