Guess Who

London

Upon making it to Montgomery I found a better hotel and actually had a sound night's sleep. Even considering the fact I couldn't get Laney off my mind and was still fuming over the incident. I wanted this land deal to be complete so I could turn my attention to the hunt.

With that I settled into my new rental car that was complete with all the luxuries I'm accustomed to. Still wasn't my Porsche that awaited me back home, but it will do.

Finally I made my way to this old man's house to check the land over and make a offer if it was worthy.

I came to a stop in front of a traditional southern styled farmhouse. It was very well kept up and surrounded by acres of beautiful land. Almost a pity knowing that it would be a strip mall or whatever soon.

Before I made it to the door, a rather large, but fit man walked out sizing me up. "You must be the city slicker from up north here to buy my land" he said extended his hand.

"That would be me" I stated putting on my salesman attitude.

"How ya do? I'm Steve Valor. The man your looking for". He spoke in a deep southern drawl.

How you do I kept repeating mentally. What kind of language is that? Plus I was expecting a older gentleman. He was probably 50ish.

"Yes you are whom I'm looking for. I'm London Harper and it's a pleasure". I beamed trying to win him over.

"Well Mr. Harper come on in. Have a seat and let's wait for my daughter. Seems she wants a say so in this". The old man said with a soft chuckle.

I nodded my agreement as I wondered why this man's daughter's say so was so important. It's a man's place to conduct such business.  "Seems fair". I heard myself saying even though I thought it insulting.

"Yea, my daughter goes to the near by college and should be here anytime. She's a great gal, but let me warn you. She's dead set on not saleing this property and can be alittle hell cat". The old man warned and I couldn't help but wonder why he seemed to let this daughter of his have so much control. I just sat and listened as he continued to rattle off about his daughter that I assumed might be a problem.

"Most people that know her won't even go against her in a argument" He stopped to give a heartfelt chuckle.

"Mostly it's my fault for spoiling her and giving in. Her mom ran out when she was a toddler, said the country just wasn't for her. She ran back to California leaving me to raise a girl. Probably explains why she's so...well what's the word for it...oh You'll just see for yourself". He concluded with a wink.

I begin to actually not mind listening to Steve ramble on. It took my mind off my own issues and gave me a glimpse into somewhat of a normal life. Being the Mob Boss's son had it's perks but being raised around guns, killings and such didn't offer much normalcy.

As we were in deep conversation a female voice called out. "Dad I'm here. Let me freshen up and I'll join you".

A few moment's later Laney bounced around into the room and came to a halt. 

"OMG"

Mr. Valor and I both looked up at her shrill entrance. A look between shock and fear marred her heart shaped face. I went to stand but thought twice about it. Fuck I can't blow this deal. If I kill her in front of her father I'll have to kill him to, then the deal is blown.

Steve broke the tension. "Laney this is Mr. Harper. Mr. Harper this is my daughter Laney".

That gave me the perfect opportunity to approach her. I strode over extending my hand. Yep, babydoll those eyes don't look too challenging now. Matter of fact she looked as if she was going to run.