Down And Dirty

Laney

When I woke up from dozing on the couch it was dark out. I turned my head and saw London standing above me. I gave him a sleepy smile and started reaching out to pull him down to me. Quickly common sense pierced my sleep fogged mind and I played it off like a streach. Glancing around I saw no one else. "Where is everyone?"
"Conner and Ela went out to eat, Marcelo is relaxing in a bath and Marcus hit a bar".
At the mention of food my stomach rumbled.
"Hungry?"
"Ya think". I said smiling. I slowly sat up with a groan. "I'm so sore. I will never, ever drink like that again"
"I've heard that one before. Come  on I'll fix you something to eat".

Before I could decline London helped me up and led me to the kitchen.
"So what you making me?"
"Chicken Marseille"
"I've been wanting to make that. I had the recipe..." I stopped not finishing my sentence, but London finished it for me
"On the fridge back home".
I nodded a silent agreement as he opened his wallet pulling the recipe out. Shocked I started to ask why he had it but decided it be best not to.

I sat up on the counter as he chopped away with me occasionally sneaking a piece. "Hey now" London scolded me.
"But I'm hungry" I whined. He brought a slice of mushroom to my mouth. I almost grabbed it with my mouth, but stopped using my hand instead. London saw my engagement ring again and snarled.

"What" I asked
"What, what" he replied. Then continued on "That's a small diamond"
"Yea, well it suits me"
He opened his mouth to say more but Marcela entered. She crossed her arms, glaring at me perched on the counter by London. I hopped down and skidded to the fridge for a water.
"Oh please don't move on my account" she spat.

London shot her a warning look to silence her. I excused myself, but before I walked out Marcela retorted. "Yes, you should go"
"Marcelo"London yelled.
I held my hand to stop him. "No London it's okay. She's right, I shouldn't have been up on the counter like that". I turned to Marcela and apologized, then went to my room.

One in the morning and I was wide awake due to my nap earlier.  I decided to take a pier walk. Heading to the kitchen I grabbed a bottle of wine and left. Like always, I found a bench on the middle of the pier and sat looking out to the ocean. Oddly, this time there were no tears as I thought about my life. Guess that means I'm okay.

My body was actually getting relaxed so I was getting ready to head home, but soon as I stood London spoke "going somewhere?"
Shrugging my shoulders I said "not really"
I sat back down
"Here" he said handing me a plastic container. "I saved you some dinner".
"Thanks" I said grabbing the plastic fork he offered. I took my first bite and moaned. "Ummm....my mouth is throwing a party right now".

London grinned. "I'm glad you like it".
I'd finished the food and threw the trash away in a nearby bin. When I set back down, London grabbed my hand and glared at my ring. "What are you doing?"
"I don't like this Laney"
"Well London there's always going to be things in life you don't like but have to accept".

"So Austin huh?"
"London don't. I know what you are going to say".
"Because it's the truth Laney. He's not good enough for you. No one is".
"I'm ready to settle down, start a family. Maybe I'm making a mistake, maybe not. Time will tell, and I'll cross that road when I get there".
"You are making a mistake babydoll. Do you love him?"
"What kind of question is that London? Would you like me asking you if you loved Marcela?"
London turned quickly to look at me. "No, not a bit. I don't love her. I've only ever loved one person".
I felt tears coming to my eyes. "London let's not go down that road".
He remained silent and after a few minutes he took my hand in his giving it a squeeze. I broke the silence. "You sent me away. You didn't want me anymore".
Grabbing my face between his hands he looked into my eyes. "Never babydoll, never think that. You scare me Laney. I've never been scared of anything until you walked into my life, or should I say robbed me as my heart as well". We both chuckled, then he continued.