•43• Chapter

"When did you get back, Yuri?" Jimin asked as I took a bite of my sandwich.

Oh so her name is Yuri.

"I got back yesterday and I wanted to surprise everyone. Si-ah still doesn't know I'm back." Yuri said. "I'm here for an exchange program actually.

Why did you get exchanged here then?

"We're glad you're back." Seokjin said. "Are you participating on the sports day?"

"Yes, I am." She said and nodded. "I want to do 4X100 with Jungkook oppa."

"The teachers pick the the students for groups actually." I blurted out without thinking. Everyone's eyes were on me so I avoided eye contact.

"Who are you?" Yuri asked.

"That's SeonMi and JangMi." Seokjin introduced us. "They're our new friends."

"Are you sisters?" Yuri asked as I looked up again just to have to make eye contact with Jungkook.

"No, we're not." JangMi said drinking her chicken soup.

Yuri eyes me up and down. I look away from Jungkook and to her.

"Ok. Well, I just know Jungkook oppa will be in my group." Yuri said smiling. She locked her arms with Jungkook but he slowly removed it which caused me to chuckle unknowingly. "What's so funny, SeonMi?"

I look up, the smile on my face slowly fading. I looked at Jungkook then Yuri alternating before speaking.

"N-Nothing, I j-just remembered s-something...
funny." I said stuttering a bit.

Yuri studied my expression and I tried hard to keep my face still. Yuri gave up after a bit and returned to eating her sandwich.

We made small talks before leaving the canteen to go to our classroom for our class.

***

"I can't wait for this class to be over so I can relax at home." I said to JangMi.

"While doing your homework." JangMi reminded me but I just shrugged.

Before I could speak again, Mr Kang spoke up. "Alright students, as you may know Sports day is just 3 days away. For the students who are in the 4X100 relay, please be sure to see which group you are in. Other students please check to see if the information on the board is correct."

"Let's go check it out." JangMi is said and we both made our way to the crowded board.

I checked for the women 100m dash and my name was on it. I checked the 4X100 really chart and searched for my name but it was not on it. I checked it 2 times but my name was just not on it.

The first group had Jimin, Namjoon, Soyeon, Mina.

The second group had Carly, Sumi, Yoona and Hopi

The third group had Taehyung, Ara, Jackson and some kid named BamBam which I remembered was also a name of a member of a team in the music competition from last month.

I just couldn't tell which one.

The fourth group had Jungkook, Seokjin, Lexi and the box was empty meaning there was no other member.

"Mr Kang?" I walked to his desk.

He looked up from his papers. "Is there a problem?"

"Yes actually. My name is not on the paper for the 4X100 relay." I said.

"Oh yes, I need to tell you guys something." He said and just a second later, Yuki showed up out of no where.

"Teacher, teacher." She said and I tried not to roll my eyes at her annoyingly high pitched voice. "I can't find my name next to Jungkook's."

I stared at her weirdly and so did Mr Kang.

What the hell did she just say? I thought.

"Y-Yes well, we had a problem. There isn't enough students to participate for the 4X100 relay for the senior grade." He said still a bit taken aback by what Yuki said.

How could she have said it so confidently and mindlessly?

"Team 4 members please come here." Mr Kang called out and one by one the members came - first Seokjin, then Lexi and finally Jungkook. "I'm sorry guys but we have to let one student go. We couldn't really choose so we thought you should choose because one of the girls are going to be in your team." He dad and I stared at him.

No, no no. Of course not! I'm just their new friend, Yuki is their old friend. They'll definitely choose her.

I knew I couldn't take part now. I just felt bad for not even getting to try.

I slapped the part of me which wanted Jungkook to fight for me to be in his team, I mean, why would he? He obviously doesn't like me, that's what he told me, Essa actually.

"You can have a group discussion if you want." Mr
Kang said and the members started to vote.

"How long have you been friends with them?" Yuki asked out of the blue.

"For a few months now. I think around 3." I said.

"I see. Well, I've been friends with them for 2 years since last last summer when Si-ah brought them." She said. "Si-ah is my cousin."

Now, I knew for sure that they would choose Yuki. Seokjin would I know for sure. She was his girlfriend's cousin after all.

I could make out some murmurs.

"-SeonMi for me-" I heard a few words from Lexi.

"-they are okay-" Seokjin said and Jungkook turned on his heels.

He took a second to look at me and I didn't dare look around, I looked right back at him.

"We choose Yuki." He said still not taking his eyes off me so I did.

I looked away and lost a small bit of hope that had been hanging on thinking he was lying and that he actually did like me.