Chapter 27

Mrs. Jeon's piercing gaze had them rooted to their spots. Hoseok and Taehyung were frozen in fear, unable to move even a finger. Meanwhile, Jimin was unable to lift his head up out of shame. Guilt was eating him from the inside more than it could be put in words.

"M_Mrs. Jeon! I_I am really sorry. I, um.." He gulped to wet his dry throat.
"It's my fault. They don't even know Kookie, that well. So it's not their fault. But I- If only I-" Jimin's tears rushed out as he choked during his apology but he bit his lip to stop the sobs.
"If only I had stopped them. This wouldn't have gotten out of hand. I'm sorry. I_I really am."

Jimin sniffed as he said, keeping his head hung so low that his neck seemed to be, almost, dropping to his feet.

"I don't think your apology has any meaning now, Jimin. You broke him. Of all the people that could hurt him, why did you have to be the one? Why?" Her voice coming out as a harsh whisper as she spoke. She was, obviously, trying to stop her tears at the gates of her eyes but some of them still slipped through and down her cheek.

Hoseok looked at Jimin, who was sobbing silently while looking down all along.

"He isn't entirely at fault. We forced him to agree." Hoseok couldn't just stand there and watch. He had to take his share of burden on his own shoulders.
"When we shared the stories of some of our pranks with Jungkook, he laughed with us every time. So, we got the idea that he wouldn't mind if we targeted him at some point. We are truly, sorry. We never meant to harm him." Hoseok bowed as he explained himself and remained like that for at least half a minute.

"Yes, well, you have, now. And since you don't know him, let me tell you something. What you have done is not just a prank to him. He had been restless for these two days. He was lying to me, lying to himself, even, that he wasn't worried. But I saw him cry. I saw him cry in his sleep last night. He was calling Jimin again and again. Although, I didn't tell him what I saw, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Do you know how hard it is, as a mother, to see him cry from a nightmare? And for someone who is laughing behind his back because he successfully tricked that pure boy? DO YOU?"

Her voice raised unintentionally, as more tears rolled down her pretty face, and her chest heaved heavily. She kept glaring at them with icy cold eyes. And she had every right to do so. This couldn't be considered as an overreaction because of the fact that she was a mother and her son happened to be weak hearted. So, of course, she would worry when something like this would happen. Knowing her son's limited interactions, how could she let off his best friend who tricked him with his own disappearance? She just couldn't.

Mrs. Jeon expected Taehyung to speak up next and apologize for his part in the plan but he never did. He just stood there, eyes far and somewhat dead, body stiff and breathing hardly noticeable. Hoseok slanted his neck to look sideways at Taehyung and glare at him but he looked like he was unaware of any other person present around him.

 Hoseok slanted his neck to look sideways at Taehyung and glare at him but he looked like he was unaware of any other person present around him

"Don't you have anything to say?" Mrs. Jeon asked looking at Taehyung, voice still low because she didn't want to disturb Jungkook with her scolding lesson, that those three boys standing in front of her, deserved.

But Taehyung, being silent, was making her lose her patience. He wasn't even saying a simple 'sorry' which she took as his stubbornness.

But, thankfully, before she could explode Taehyung spoke up, still not looking at her.
"I will bring his smile back. I promise." Small voice came out of him, finally. Mrs. Jeon, however, looked at him with disbelief.

"Do you not understand what you guys have done to him? His best friend broke his trust. He won't open up to anyone ever again. He will just go back to his shell and lock everyone out forever, now." Mrs. Jeon hissed.

"I promise." Taehyung repeated himself, still not meeting her gaze, before bowing and left immediately, afterwards.

Hoseok and Jimin only stood silently for a moment more until the former mumbled one more apology before he left, as well. Jimin, however, stood rooted there. He neither had words to comfort her, nor the guts to lift his head up in front of her again.

When the sound of door closing behind Hoseok was heard Mrs. Jeon moved forward and lifted Jimin's face up by cupping it in her small, soft hands. His eyes were red and swollen, so was his lip which he had been biting all this time to keep his sobs inside. He still didn't look her in the eye. He couldn't.

"Jiminie~" Her voice lacked all the hatred she had, all of a sudden

"Jiminie~" Her voice lacked all the hatred she had, all of a sudden. Only warmth was left. Jimin hesitantly lifted his eyes and another stream of tears came down his face. Mrs. Jeon wiped them with her thumbs and embraced him in a motherly hug.

"I didn't mean to be so harsh on you. But I was so worried because of him. I know you didn't have any ill intention but our Kookie- our Kookie won't understand it that easily."

Jimin only hugged her tighter as his tears wet her shoulder even more. They couldn't tell how long they stayed like that since neither wanted to let go.

"Okay, stop now." Mrs. Jeon sniffed and finally, pulled back. She wiped her face first and then Jimin's, with her sleeve.
"You have school tomorrow. Go home and get some sleep. You will need a clearer mind from now on, okay?"

Jimin nodded and smiled back at her as he backed away from the hug.

"No more tears, now. I can't find your eyes in all this puddled face."

"That's rude." Jimin pouted at her but giggled, nevertheless.

"Shoo now." Jimin kissed her cheek and hugged her one more time before running out.

After he left, Mrs. Jeon locked the door and came back inside. She sighed deeply as she sat down on the couch in front of her.

"Do I deserve an Oscar or what?"

She glanced at Jungkook's room and muffled her laugh by her sleeve.

"You are next, my bunny!" She whispered enthusiastically.
"I vowed to myself that I won't let you push these boys away from yourself and I'm not going back on my words, Jungkookie~"

Her smile turned devilish and she was sure that if the kids saw her right now, they would definitely see her as an evil witch scheming some dark plans. The idea only made her giggle more. It had been so long since she last felt this much excitement. She thought she was a high schooler, again. The memories of her school life, when she used to be the matchmaker, came to life and her smile widened, impossibly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~