33

Yeeun's POV

I waited impatiently for Mingi to arrive after his football practice. My foot tapped furiously against the living room floor.

My anger was still boiling from earlier.

I asked Soyeon what had happened. She didn't want to talk much about it, but said she was walking to her class when Mingi came out of no where and threw her against the lockers. He started screaming at her, telling her to stay away from me.

Hearing Soyeon tell me that made something inside of me snap. Like I told Mingi earlier, hurting me was one thing. But hurting my friends crossed the line.

I perked up, hearing footsteps coming up the porch steps. The doorbell rang seconds later. I took a deep breath before standing up and making my way to the front door.

Swinging it open, I found Mingi outside, wearing jeans and a grey hoodie. His facial expression was blank, making it impossible to read his current emotion.

"Hey," he said, his voice deep and husky. "Hey," I replied monotonously. "Come in."

I stepped aside, making room for him to enter the house. I closed the door behind him before leading him into the living room. Stopping in the center of the room, I turned to him and began.

"Tell me what happened between you and Soyeon earlier," I demanded, crossing my arms over my chest. He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Look, I was just mad, okay? She tried to take you away from me and I just--she needed to know that our relationship is none of her business and that she shouldn't be trying to mess it up." He said.

I shook my head. "That doesn't mean you have to shove her into a row of lockers and start screaming a her!" He licked his lips and muttered, "She deserved it."

My eyes widened slightly at his words and I grew even angrier.

"No, she didn't, Mingi! You had no right to do that to her!"I shouted at him. "She tried to take you away from me!" He repeated, shouting right back at me with an intense expression.

"Well maybe I should've have let her!" I retorted angrily. With a raised hand, Mingi stepped towards me. "What did you just say to me?!" He screamed.

That all too familiar feeling of immense fear washed over me and I quickly stumbled away from him. Tears welled up in my eyes as I waited for him to throw me against the wall and hit me, just like he used to.

But Mingi froze, a look with a mix of guilt and horror coming over his face. He looked as his raised hand, blinking multiple times and shaking his head. He then lowered it back to his side and returned his eyes to mine.

"Y-Yeeun, I'm so sorry. I didn't--I wasn't-" He struggled to find words. "Baby, I--" I cut him off.

"Y-you're were going to hit me," I stuttered, a single tear slipping from my eye. He shook his head. "No." He whispered, taking a step towards me. "Yes, you were!" I screamed, backing up.

"No. No, baby, I'm sorry. I wasn't going to hit you," he said softly, stepping towards me again. I shook my head, backing away until I hit the wall. "Soyeon was right about you. You're never going to change." I said, releasing a sob as a couple more tears streaked down my cheeks.

I'll never forget that look on his face. Never had I seen him look so helpless. So guilty. So scared.

"Baby, no. Please, believe me. I-I'm going to keep my promise," he pleaded. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Suddenly, he was in front of me. I was against the wall with no where to go. Body trembling, I closed my eyes, too afraid to look into his.

I felt a gentle hand rest on my cheek, making me flinch. "Yeeun, sweetheart," Mingi whispered. I could tell he was close by the way his breath was hitting my lips. "I'm sorry." He gently rested his forehead against mine, still cupping my cheek.

Slowly, I allowed my eyes to open. Mingi was looking at me with those big brown eyes that made him look so innocent. "You promised," I whimpered. "You promised you were never gonna do it again."

He closed his own eyes for a moment before opening them again and moving his body closer to mine. "I know, Yeeun. I know," he whispered. "But I didn't hit you and I wasn't going to."

I frowned. "Then why did you raise your hand like that?" I questioned, almost accusingly. He sighed, taking a moment before answering. "I wouldn't have hit you, baby. I just got a little angry."

I wanted to scoff. His answer didn't help me feel any better, but before I could say anything else, Mingi pulled me into his chest, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. It took me a moment, but I decided that I was tired of fighting and returned his hug. Nuzzling my face into chest, I closed my eyes and inhaled the familiar scent of his cologne. Immediately, my body relaxed.

Feeling me relax, Mingi allowed himself to relax as well. He moved one hand up, combing his fingers through my hair soothingly.

"I'm sorry," He whispered once more, kissing the top of my head. "I love you." It took me moment to bring myself to say it back, but finally, I did. "I love you too."

He pulled away just slightly, gently wiping away the remaining tears on my face. I sniffled, dragging my eyes up to meet his. He was studying me, pain and guilt swirling around in his eyes. A part of me felt bad for him.

I flinched when he cussed at himself. He stepped away from me, turning around and running his hands through his hair furiously.

"I swore to myself that I was never gonna make you cry again." He muttered with his back to me. I frowned, seeing how bad he felt about all of this. That's when I knew his promise was genuine.

"Mingi," I said softly, approaching him slowly. "It's okay. You didn't hurt me." He whirled around suddenly and I instinctively took a step back. A hint of anger was now swirling around in his eyes, along with the guilt.

"But I still made you cry, Yeeun," he nearly shouted before taking notice of the space between us. He frowned at me. "Are you afraid of me?"

I was quick to shake my head. "No," I denied, stepping towards him again. It was somewhat of a lie. I was afraid of him when he nearly hit me just minutes before. But not now. Now, he seemed like nothing more than a helpless child.

Mingi sighed, looking away and shaking his head. "Yes, you are, Yeeun. You're always gonna be afraid of me," he muttered. "I'm a monster."

"No, Mingi," I argued, wrapping my arms around his waist and forcing him into a hug. "No, you're not."

It took him a moment, but eventually, he returned my hug. "I was," he said. I couldn't argue with that. He really was a monster. But I can see how much he's changed.

I leaned up and kissed his jaw tenderly.

"Not anymore." I told him honestly.

-

A/N: Guess Yeeun finally fought back. How do you feel?

-