16

Harper

I groan, Hunter was the last person I wanted to see right now. He was dressed in a white shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and he wore matching black suit pants. I glare at him, watching as he doesn't spare a glance in my direction. He stands in front of me, shielding me from the Demons. The anger was radiating off his body, his sharp jaw clenched, his eyes complete black. His demon was rising to the surface, making me gulp with fear. 

I peer over his shoulder, watching as the Demon man bows his head at Hunter. "My King," He pauses, glaring at me. "Why are you protecting an Angel?" He says, his voice dripping with disgust. 

"She is my wife, you pathetic fool," Hunter growls, making my eyes widen. I stare at his broad shoulders, I wasn't his wife! I cross my arms, ignoring the throbbing pain in my head. Why did alcohol have to affect Angel's differently? 

The demon stumbles back, "That's impossible-"

"Get in the car, Harper," Hunter says darkly, tilting his head to the side. I open my mouth to protest, but shut it quickly, walking towards the Jet Black Porsche. I roll my eyes at his choice of car, slipping into the leather seats. I shut the car door behind me, crossing my arms as I wait for Hunter. 

I clutch my head, what was I thinking? I knew alcohol was bad for me, especially since I was an Angel. Alcohol affected Angels worse than Humans, and they received a hangover earlier. That explained my throbbing head. I peer outside of the window until my jaw drops. I stared at the demons lifeless body that was missing a head. I gasped, covering my mouth as thick black blood ran down the gutter.

I jump as the driver's door opens, revealing Hunter with a bloody shirt. Black splotches appeared on the white fabric, cringing at the smell. Demon blood was black and smelled like rotten meat. Hunter's sharp jaw was clenched, the veins in his arm popping out. How were his hands so attractive? 

I shook off the thought, my body jerking into the seat as Hunter roughly reverses and speeds down the dark streets. Silence fills the car until Hunter sniffs the air, his eyes darkening. "Did you drink?" He says, his voice low. 

I cross my arms, "That's none of your concern," I grumble, resting my head on the car door. 

At the corner of my eye, I see him glance at me. "Did that dick touch you?" 

"No," I lie, remembering how he pulled my hair. I didn't care about the fact he pulled my hair, but I didn't want to start another conversation.

"You didn't have to kill him," I say softly, watching as Hunter clenches his jaw. 

"That rogue deserved it," He says through gritted teeth. 

Silence engulfs the car, which I liked. What could have the demon said to make Hunter rip his head off? Surely it couldn't be the threat that was targeted at me, could it? No, it would have had to be more than that. 

"How did you escape?" He suddenly asks. I close my eyes, smiling briefly as I remember knocking out the guards and running off to the nearest club. I was in desperate need to let loose, and no one was going to stop me. I took my chance as soon as I had the fight with Hunter. 

I was too tired to respond, instead, I kept my eyes closed. I heard my name being called numerous times, and I groan, fluttering my eyes open as I meet Hunter's worried expression. He sighs with relief, keeping his eyes back to the road. 

"I thought you died for a split second," he mumbles. Oh, so now he suddenly cares? 

"So what if I did? I bet you'd be happy," I mutter, staring at the stars out of the window. 

I hear him chuckle, "I would be, but the emptiness in my heart would never go away," I shoot him a glare as he says this, earning another chuckle from him. 

"I don't want to talk to you, now let me sleep," I mutter, before falling into a deep sleep.