21

Harper 

I glance out of the plane window, biting my lip as I stare down at the ocean. I missed flying, but without my wings, I couldn't anymore. I missed the feeling the most. The feeling of freedom as I glided through the air, the cool breeze hitting my face and flowing through my wings. All of that was gone, in one night. 

I felt Hunter shift next to me, causing me to look at him. A phone was glued to his ear, his harsh voice snapping back into the phone. He sighs, hanging up the phone and turning towards me. I almost got lost in his memorizing eyes, before snapping out of my gaze. 

"There has been an attack in a small town just off Los Angeles, apparently it's a blood bath," 

He says, rubbing his eyes. I simply nod, turning my attention to the window. I felt his eyes on me, making me shift uncomfortably in my seat. We were only a few hours away from the small town just off Los Angeles. A blood bath? Does that mean Demons were killed? I mean, the town was just a town for Demons, no humans allowed. A few of the Demon Guards accompanied us, preparing us for the worse.

"You must miss it," Hunter says quietly. I snap my head towards him, knowing that he was talking about flying. 

"Yeah, I do," I croak out, leaving the conversation there. I didn't want to talk about my dark past, I didn't want to remember the pain. 

-

"I want you to stay close to me," Hunter says sternly as we exit the car. When our flight was finished, there was a black Mercedes waiting for us. We drove in silence for an hour, before we arrived at an eerily quiet town. It gave me the creeps. 

"Why am I even here?" I question, looking around. 

I hear him sigh next to me, "Because I want you to see what I do for a living," I scoff. All he did was kill Angels, he was a monster that shouldn't have been born. I pushed past him, knowing that he was becoming angry with my behaviour.

The town looked normal, but I knew a deadly secret hid behind the shadows. Hunter was so close to me I felt his hand brush mine. I jump back from the electricity, avoiding his eyes. The Demon guards were in front and behind us. We silently walked through the town, small houses lining against one another. 

It was quiet. Too quiet. 

A sudden smell causes me to pinch my nose, desperately looking for where the smell was coming from. My eyes meet a local church that was placed at the end of the street, making my blood turn cold. Hunter noticed me looking at the Church before he waved his men to go over to check it out. I knew something was wrong, I could feel it.

I grabbed hold of Hunter's arm, "Don't go in," I mumbled, watching as he stares at me witha confused look with his blue eyes. I glance at the Church, knowing that something was wrong, something was terribly out of place with this town. 

"Don't go in!" I scream, 

but it was too late.