29

Harper

I looked around the dark night, finding the limousine parked in front of me. I get up from the stairs, wobbling my way over to the limousine. I knocked on the window, no response. My brows rose, walking over to the driver's seat. I stop dead in my tracks as my eyes wander on the ajar car door. 

My eyes widen once I see him. 

I gasp, stumbling back. My lips tremble, my legs shaking beneath me as I swallow the urge to scream. I stare at his body that was covered in his own blood, his neck slashed revealing his throat. Bile rises in my throat, looking at the Demon who drowned in his own blood. I turn around, jumping back as a scream escapes my lips. 

On the ground, in the Demon's blood, it read:

I'm coming for you Harper 

I turned as fast as I could in my heels, running to the ballroom doors. I push the double doors open, gasping for air. My feet burned, my eyes scanning the large room for Hunter. I finally spot him, playing with his glass of wine and looking bored. I lift up my dress, running towards him. I collapse in his arms, tears spilling out of my eyes. 

He holds me in his arms, before pulling away and gripping my shoulders. He looks at me with concern, "What happened, princess?" He says softly, making me point to the double doors. I didn't have to explain. Instead, Hunter gently pushed me aside, his dark eyes glowing with malice as he strides to the doors. He pushed them open with no force, all eyes on him. Alyssa runs to my side, carefully taking me to a table and resting me down in a chair. 

She looks at me with fright, "Are you okay?" She asks, and I wave my hand. 

"Yes," I croak out. She slowly nods, not believing me but stays quiet. My eyes never leave the double doors, my hands trembling. I jump with fright as Hunter reveals himself from the golden doors, looking slightly agitated as he grips his collar. He grips my hand, pulling me out of the chair. 

"Excuse the early notice, but the Ball is cancelled," Hunter says loudly. With that, we exit the ballroom and quickly walk down the steps. I avoid looking at the limousine, Hunter steering me to a black Mercedes parked on the side of the road. Hunter opens the car door, clenching his jaw. I hang my head low, stepping one foot in the seat followed by the other. I jump slightly when he roughly slams the door, entering the driver's seat. 

He reveres the car, cursing under his breath. I stare out of the window, closing my eyes and sighing heavily as we head to Hunter's Mansion. 

"I will keep you safe, Harper," he says lowly, causing me to shoot my eyes open. 

"Did you know this was going to happen?" I snap at him. He clenches his hands around the steering wheel. 

"Why would you think that?" 

I scoff, "You knew going to this Ball something was going to happen, after all, a lot of Demon's want me dead." 

This causes him to slam his hands down on the wheel, snapping his head in my direction. He knew I was right, which made my blood boil. We drove in silence. Did he want me dead? Surely he knew something would happen at the big event such as the Ball.

 I was more than happy when the Mansion came in view, the gates opening for us to enter. As soon as the car came to a stop, I got out of the car and slammed it shut behind me. I was beyond furious and I was hurt. I made it into the Mansion, ignoring the maids as they tried to carry the train of my dress. 

I made it to my room, about to turn the lights on when a hand curls around my waist. 

I'm pinned to the wall, about to protest when lips meet mine.