Chapter 4

Excitement was thick in the air. Graduation was approaching and it was the last day of school. Papers were scattered all over the corridors and big streams of banners lined the walls announcing the last football match of the year, which was 3 weeks ago.

Frankie and Rose walked into the classroom and sat beside each other at their normal desk, they had a few minutes before class started so joined in a small conversation with other students in the room.

"I thought you were definitely going to Founders Day tonight instead of working it like you always do." Rose asked Frankie.

"You know I have to help Grandma Claire where I can, she's done so much for me as it is... I have a lot on my mind anyway." She responded, knowing where this conversation was heading.

"She works you too hard, you should have a day off. You're always helping out. Besides, it's your birthday!"

Frankie chuckled nervously, "I know I know. It all depends on how you..." she trailed off quietly.

"Huh? What did you say I didn't hear you"

Mr. Warwick their English teacher walked into the classroom, causing the pockets of conversation to die down, he strolled towards his desk and set down his brown briefcase and mug of coffee. Mr Warwick was a new teacher at Blairs Hollow secondary school. Having moved to Blairs Hollow a year ago, he seemed to fit in well with everyone in the community. Teachers and students adored him and undoubtedly intelligent too, well read, constantly quoting passages from obscure pieces of literature in class. He was charming and easily the youngest teacher on the staff roster, for months Frankie had tried to understand what it was about him that everyone admired, even Celeste had been disarmed by his charms and that was no easy feat. But there was just something about Mr. Warwick that didn't sit right with her. She had no clue what it was and without evidence she was just the captain of a team of one, who disliked Mr. Warwick.

"Surprise end of year quiz everybody!" Mr. Warwick told everyone as he handed out the test papers. The whole class groaned, except for Frankie who was more than prepared for it.

"A test? Why would he give us a test on the last day of school?" Rose complained beside her. Frankie smiled to herself, this was the sort of underhanded tricks she expected from Mr. Warwick but once that clock struck 3 she didn't have to put up with his ego any longer. She needn't have anything to worry about she knew she was graduating with A's, her record was clean and she had plenty of extracurriculars, enough so Universities were recruiting her as a student, if she could go, she'd have a free ride at some of the best universities the main land had to offer.

Mr Warwick handed out the test papers to Frankie and Rose last lingering as he placed it face down on the table, they both caught each others eye and Frankie instantly felt uneasy. Rose was too preoccupied with the unfairness of the surprise quiz to notice their small interaction, but it was enough for Frankie to make a mental note to talk about it with her friends at lunch, not that it would matter anyway they all worshiped the ground he walked on.

"The time is 9:10, you have 40 minutes, and you may begin your test."

Mr. Warwick sat in his chair and began reading a medieval literary magazine. The whole class bowed their heads and flipped over the paper to the test, Frankie heard Rose moan beside her, she could tell Rose didn't have a clue what the answers were. Flipping her own test over, she already knew the answers, she had a fair amount of warning to this little surprise, and she completed it before time was over.

Sitting at her desk, she looked around and saw people look just as confused as Rose, some were scribbling answers down to the questions, whilst others had their head on the table, silently praying for it to end. As she looked around the classroom for the last time she couldn't believe this was it, yet she was a little excited about this new phase in her life. Frankie could feel eyes burning into the side of her. As she turned forward, Mr. Warwick quickly moved the magazine up, covering his face. In that moment, the bell rang signalling the end of class