Chapter 30

Frankie jumped out of bed in search of both Grandma Claire and Lucas. She had to tell them what she saw. She walked down the stairs to the kitchen eagerly answering the call of the vibration that thumped from within the kitchen. She rounded the corner, words burning her tongue, when she stopped short in front of Celeste, Rose and Callum. Scratching her head. "What are you guys doing here?" She asked.

"Frankie, we made plans yesterday to go camping!" Rose explained. That was only yesterday, Frankie thought. She finally noticed their sleeping bags and bags neatly piled together on one side. "We've been waiting for ages." Callum said, stuffing his face with a sandwich, he glanced at Frankie and his eyes lingered. She felt his gaze, and a heat rose from her neck and cheeks, she was still in her pjs and her hair had a mind of its own. Why couldn't she have worn the new silk pj's her grandmother had given her for her last birthday, at least?

Thump-Thump.

"Are you not coming now?" Celeste asked, twisting to face Frankie from the sofa in the lounge.

"Wha-what's the time? I must have overslept." Frankie replied confused..

"It's 1:30 pm" Lucas spoke. Melting her insides, she looked at him and she beamed. Never had she been so happy to see him.

"Stop smiling like an idiot. We should have left 3 hours ago!" Celeste shouted.

Frankie rolled her eyes and continued talking to Lucas. "Where's Grandma Claire?"

"She said she had some errands to run, would be back this afternoon."

"I need her here! I have so much to tell you."

"Edeline's memories?" He said quietly, looking away. She stepped closer towards him absentmindedly, intimately "Yes, I finally understand now."

"Ahem," Callum, cleared his throat. "We should be getting on the road now."

He said, washing the sandwich down with a glass of milk. "Yeah we still have to pick up Priya along the way." Celeste interjected, reminding her brother.

Frankie resigned, she had waited so long to drink the vial, one more day wouldn't hurt to tell Grandma Claire and Lucas.

"Give me 15 mins to get ready." She went upstairs and came back down fifteen minutes later, backpack and camping gear in hand.

"Ready." She announced.

"Finally, let's get going!" Rose cheered excitedly.

Her friends went to pick up their bags from the side and made their way through the door. They stepped outside and there was a small red car sitting on the drive, they loaded their stuff in the back. Rose and Frankie sat in the back seats whilst Callum sat in the passenger seat next to Celeste. Lucas watched them pile in, he always enjoyed camping beneath the stars.

"You can always come with us." Frankie shouted through the front window.

Lucas chuckled, "Frankie, enjoy. I shall await your return tomorrow."

With that, Celeste reversed into the road and drove down the hill towards town and towards Priya's house. They turned on the radio, getting the road trip started in style. They pulled up in front of Priya's house, who was standing outside on the porch with her bags waiting. Callum got out of the car and walked over to her, kissing her on the cheek and wrapping her in a hug. Frankie watched on enviously, she wanted to know what it felt like to be cherished by someone. Callum picked up Priya's bags and loaded them in the car, he assisted her in the back right beside Rose. Callum cranked up the volume on the radio, the bass trembled causing the side mirrors to vibrate and Frankie's teeth to chatter. They set off in the direction of the forest near the coast, playing car games to pass the time and gossiping about rumours. They drove for two hours, turning off the main road onto a dirt road that lead to parking. They parked and they all got out the car, stretching from the tight, uncomfortable ride. They retrieved their bags and walked along the trails, the sound of rushing water off in the distance was calming and all too familiar to Frankie now. They continued following the trail that lead to the camp grounds. They came to a clear area with flat ground and dumped their bags on the floor.