Chapter 12

Lucas left the Stars and Moon emporium just as Frankie had finished her reading and confessed her big secret to her friends. He felt that he needed to be there for her, to help put her mind to ease. Having watched Frankie grow with her friends, he knew that Frankie did the right thing by sharing who she truly was, he knew in his heart that they would accept her for who she was no matter what.

His mind was occupied with the events that had occurred over the last couple days, he needed space to think through the day.

Just like every morning, he would start his day with helping Claire brew potions for inventory and assist wherever he was needed. When you had a day and forever to do anything, Lucas took much pleasure in the little things. Each day was a blessing, and he was grateful he could witness and share these moments with the people he cared about, even though it had been years since he was actually able to feel the rays of the sun, or the chill in the wind.

The day of Frankie's birthday started a little differently, he would usually wake her on her birthday and they would watch the sunrise over the hills together but given their unofficial walk the night before he thought she could use the extra lie in. He didn't expect to feel a tight knot from in his stomach when he saw her that morning and when she did glance his way he felt trapped captivated to one spot as if time and space had stopped and he and Frankie were the only beings that existed.

The promise of hope, love and happiness enveloped him in time with the vibrations as conflicting confusion battled within him.

He looked at Frankie for the first time, in a way he would never usually associate with her. He noticed how her hair looked after waking up and thought to himself she had never looked so beautiful. This thought scared him and he shook his head gently, trying to shake whatever this feeling was. When he looked at her that morning he began to feel a low vibrational hum, the feeling was overwhelming like an invisible cord wrapped around his stomach that got tighter with each intake of breath. He couldn't explain what was happening and he wondered if she felt it too, but he said nothing continuing their usual back and forth routine. As soon as Frankie left for school the vibration stopped and his stomach was able to unclench itself. This was unlike anything he had ever felt before, not even with Edeline.

As the day went on, he noticed the vibrations getting stronger, as soon as Frankie mentioned something to Claire about it, he knew Claire knew something.

Music in the background broke through his thoughts and he looked around him. This wasn't where the Stellanova's lived. He had decided to take the long way back but as he was so deep in his thoughts he didn't realise he'd been walking for hours and was now, standing in front of Ryan's house party. Lucas didn't know how he ended up outside of Ryan's house but since he was there, he thought he would check-up on Frankie or so he told himself.

He walked through the front door and saw small groups of people dotted on the first floor. He could hear music coming from downstairs so he made his way towards the basement. Lucas walked past a couple of teenagers very occupied and acquainted with each others lips.

I wonder how... Lucas stopped mid-thought pushing it deep down, as he realised he recognised one of the teenagers swapping spit – it was Callum, one of Frankie's closest friends. I thought he was in Love with Frankie? He thought anger rising.

Lucas walked past him and stood on the last step staring at the swarm of people occupying the medium-sized basement.

The music was loud and the partygoers were sloppy. He could see a makeshift dance floor to his right and he walked through the crowd in search of Frankie. As he made it to the centre, he could sense her magic as it still lingered in the air. He tried to spot her red hair, but had no such luck in the dark. As he attempted to follow the magical trail, he managed to follow it until he reached the edge of the woods just behind Ryan's house before the scent stopped. He tried to imagine why Frankie would be out in the woods by herself, when he felt an intense vibration, pulsing in the direction of the woods. Fear crept in his stomach and he gave up with using his 'human' speed, he began to think of Frankie, her smile her smell and he tried to envisage her, as soon as he conjured an image of Frankie in his mind, he heard her faint squeal for help and he appeared beside her.