49- What I thought would be a dream

Xander's POV

Outside the sky glows red, orange, yellow and pink as the sun slowly sinks behind the trees of the forest. 

Humans, vampires and fallen angels from all around Lyiethal gather here to celebrate the beginning of our year. I stand and greet them all, watching them bow and thanking me for the invitation. From time to time I glance at the stairs leading down to the ballroom, hoping to see Aurora stand beside my sister with a smile on her face. 

I sigh before turning my head to greet the next guest, I plaster on a smile as I speak the words I've spoken so many times before. 'Welcome', 'Thank you for your arrival' I smile, over and over again until a hand lands on my shoulder and my head snaps towards it. My smile almost falls when I realize it's just Clairy and not Aurora. 

"You always look so bothered when you greet our guests," she jokes making a real smile form on my lips. "Now go, I'll take over." 

"Why?" I ask with narrow eyes, trying to figure out her evil master plan. 

"Take it easy mindreader, Lucius wanted to speak to you," she sais as she points into the crowd of people. Before I can ask her where he is she opens her mouth, "By the snacks' table." 

"Thank you," I say as I wander into the crowd, throwing 'hello's' with a smile to anyone who meets my gaze. I hear Lucius's voice before I see him but when I do see him I stop dead in my tracks. I almost run towards them before noticing the small smirk on Aurora's lips, instead I walk over to the table and listen to their conversation. 

"You can stop the tough guy act now," she smirks as she rolls her eyes, my breath hitches in my throat as I see the beautiful crimson dress Aurora is dressed in.

I expect to see anger flood Lucius's eyes but no such thing happens, instead, a small smile creeps up to his lips as well. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." 

"Sure you do, I heard the moaning on my way to Clairy this morning," her smirk grows bigger, "Oh! Isabella, Oh I love you, You're amazing Isabella!" she moans as she tries to hold back a giggle. 

My brother with someone new... perfect. 

A smile flashes onto my lips as I think of the first time he was in love. His first mate. It didn't end well but it wasn't his fault either, he was young and had little control. She knew it and kept teasing him, torturing him. He lost control. I still remember her last words when I burst through his door, ready to save her. 'I love you'.

"You shut your dirty little mouth!" he quietly roars as his eyes turn crimson. My body tenses, ready to defend my mate. 

"Like I said... Drop. The. Act," she growls in between clenched teeth as her eyes glow a brighter color of purple. "I'm happy for you, you deserve it," she smiles before turning around, taking a few steps before Lucius grabs a hold of her arm.

"I'm sorry." 

"I know," she says flashing him a small smile.

I leave my place to go and greet her. She gives me a smile as well before we walk off to the dance floor. Before I can get her into position for dance she hugs me, catching me off guard. 

"I love you," she whispers as I hug her back.

"I love you too."