16. The Night Of P.D.A

C H A P T E R
S I X T E E N 

The dim but whimsical street lanterns in the Whitestone parking lot projected a beautiful, glowing light. There was a faint chorus of crickets and a nearby stream peacefully coursed through the rockery a few feet away from the bench Julian and Lin were seating on.

"Charlie has been wonderful. He's one of the most analytical kids I've ever met you know! I love every second I spend with him." Lin confessed, her eyes shining brightly as she briefed her time with Charles for the past 3 weeks to Julian.

Julian honestly hadn't met a woman quite like Lin. A woman so passionate about a child she hardly knew.  A woman so kind and gentle. Her type of woman species was new to him. He wasn't accustomed to women like her. All the women he attracted seemed to only want his money, a title, the limelight or the pleasures he could offer in bed or all of the reasons listed.

He had never wanted a woman so badly and yet he had never wanted a woman to stay so far away from him. He was conflicted with his feelings towards her. There was just too much going on. Besides, he wasn't ready to be responsible for the consequences that came with claiming her. He didn't think Lin would appreciate his jealous nature, his posessiveness, his unquenchable carnal desires and so on.

"Who is Lance?" Julian inquired curiously after he recalled the first time he met Nkosi who told him about Lance at Lin's family braai.

Lin briefly choked on her spit then started coughing violently. "Okay, where did that question come from?" She squeaked before avoiding his gaze.

Julian gently palmed her hand. "It seems like I'm always sharing stories about my troubles. Care to share yours?" He smiled comfortingly.

"Look, Lance is...well....Lance." Lin shrugged her shoulders.

"When Nkosi mentioned him at the braai your smile fell, I notice more than I let on you know." Julian reminded her.

"Evidently." She muttered in annoyance.

"Would he by any chance be the bloke that had you running out of Holiday Inn in tears a few months ago?" He continued to prod.

She gasped before turning away from him once more, this time in embarrassment. "What's the point of all of this?" She snapped, her shoulders stiffening in agitation.

"I'm merely asking. Seeing as how you're replying, it's an incredibly touchy subject. What did he do to you?" Julian asked gently.

No, Lin thought, he's putting him back into my head!  "That's none of your business." She murmured quietly.

"I don't think that's fair Lin. You always press me about not being open and now you're failing to do the same thing." Julian wasn't in the mood to fight with Lin. In fact, he felt like he could he could help her out. He wanted to be the one to give her words of wisdom for once. He wanted to be strong for her and it was clear that she was weak at that moment.

"Dammit! Let me help you out with this. Just let me help you for once." Julian pleaded when Lin had sprung off the bench in an attempt to leave. Lin turned around to face his pleading eyes. Her own eyes were tearful. It wasn't long before she had launched herself into his broad arms and began wailing.

"Your mother told me about what he did to you during the braai. She was worried that you hadn't quite processed the whole situation." Julian explained as he gently caressed her growing mass of curly hair.