19. The Peridot In Coite d'Ivoire

C H A P T E R
N I N E T E E N

Ivory Coast, Abidjan.

When the plane landed that evening, Lin was ecstatic. They stepped out of the plane at Félix Houphouët Boigny International Airport. Julian stood outside the airport doors smiling at Lin's awed expression as her eyes roamed the area surrounding them. Lush trees, well manicured lawns and of course the hustle and bustle of arriving and departing people.

Coite d'Ivoire was a beautiful country with an enthralling cultural diversity. Especially that of the migration of Queen Abla Poku and her factions after disputes with the Ashanti King in the eighteenth century. She left Ghana and led her people west to the shores of Comoe, the land of Senufo. In order to cross the river, the queen sacrificed her son. The sacrifice gave birth to the name Baoulé, meaning 'the child has died'. They came to dominate and dwell in southern Ivory Coast.

The Baoulé's were friendly, sociable people just like their Akan brothers in Ghana. They welcomed many blacks from the diaspora and crowned them chiefs. Those blacks included Michael Jackson in 1992 and LL Cool J in 1998.

The country was also home to the infamous Didier Drogba, a Chelsea player. The country was also home to painful events such as that of the 1st and 2nd Ivorian civil wars that left countless civilians killed.

People came and went, most speaking French. Some of the people were Baoule Tribesman, speaking in the native language Baoule. Other native languages in Coite included Yacouba, Senoufo, Betie, Attie, Agni and Dioula. It was quite a sight seeing as how most of the Tribesmen had traditional markings of white dots and lines adorning their faces, necks and naked arms. The culture in Abidjan was alive and vibrant. As the sun set, it cast a gorgeous glow across the sky. There were shades of light blue, peony and orange. Lin's eyes twinkled as she gasped at the setting sun's magnificence.

"That's why I've always loved Africa. All the sunsets and sunrises are beautiful. " Julian said as he came to stand next to her.

"Yeah. I really don't blame you for always travelling anymore." Lin laughed, her voice still awed.

"Ah yes, the beauty is in the travelling and site seeing but not so much in the running away from killer bees and angry Tribesmen or almost falling off mountain tops." Julian murmured.

Lin smiled when she saw his expression. Anyone could see that Julian was extremely passionate about his work. And the fact that he faced all these dangers was all the more impressive and commendable.

"You love danger, huh?" Lin said curtly.

"With everything that I am, it's very thrilling." Julian answered enthusiastically. He chuckled when he saw annoyance replacing her awed expression.

"Well you better not die. You can't leave me to raise Charlie alone, that's not fair." Lin scowled before folding her arms.

Julian let out a short laugh. "Don't worry, I now have people to live for." He murmured whilst he gazed into her eyes.

Lin's expression softened and before she knew it, she was grinning like an idiot. "Shut up." She mumbled before playfully shoving him away.

Julian snickered then looked at the entrance to the airport building. Shelly and James came out, carrying their bags with them. "The rental car is on its way." James clarified as he came to a stop next to them.