35. The Monster's Tale, Part 1

Note:

I know it's been a while. Sorry about that but this chapter is very important and I couldn't afford to mess anything up.

Song: Open Fire by Patoranking, featuring Busiswa. I think it goes well with this chapter...especially towards the end.

***

C H A P T E R
T H I R T Y - F I V E

Lin gritted her teeth when she finally managed to peel her eyes open. Everything was blurry at first until she blinked multiple times, willing her eyes to adjust to the dreary lighting. Her head was throbbing fiercely, courtesy of the sedative that had been plunged deep into her neck the previous night.

Just like her head, her neck was spasming with various jolts of pain, no doubt from sleeping in an uncomfortable position all night. A thick rope bound her wrists behind the chair and each ankle around the legs of the wooden chair like a vice, rendering any form of movement or feeling in her wrists and ankles impossible.

She knew that she was in Manda thanks to the violent clanging machines, the loud crunching noise emanating from the tyres gliding over the gravel and the hollers and shouts of the workers.

Lin surveyed her surroundings through heavy lidded eyes. The floors her Jordan clad feet were planted on was made of concrete littered with cracks here and there. The high windows surrounding her were covered with thick layers of dust, but Lin could still see the sun's glow and the bright green tree leaves. White, seemingly wooden double doors were locked, imprisoning her in the factory.

The room had many old meat cutting machines seated on rickety, dusty tables, completely coated with rust and a myriad of spiraling cobwebs that had all been expertly decorated by human carelessness and time. The stench in the room made her want to wretch, it was the fetid smell of rotting meat and fish.

Lin wasn't concerned about her aching body. She was terrified of what she had seen the previous night. She had seen Julian's wife in the flesh. Julian's wife had looked so painfully gorgeous.

Lin was now extremely confused about everything. She thought that her puzzle was almost complete. She thought that she would see the picture she had been so desperately trying to create, but it was as though fate had ripped the puzzle pieces from her and scattered them to the wind.

Thanks to the sedative, fear and various other thoughts, Lin felt like her head was being pounded on by a hammer. Racking her brain about Rosa was adding onto the weight of the hammer.

The doors creaked open to reveal the tall, stunning brunette with eyes of cyan grey. She strutted into the room clad in a black tight fitting pantsuit and Chanel heels, accompanied by a tantalising musky, feminine scent. Her hair was slicked back and she had the familiar unsettling, crooked smile on her red painted lips.

"Lindiwe Simo," the feminine rich honeyed voice, coated with an Italian accent said. "Did you sleep well?"

One of Lin's eyebrows shot up in an arch. "What do you think?" she scoffed.

"Oh come now Lindiwe, I was merely trying to be polite. Beast can be...well, a beast. I told him to be gentle with you." the woman shook her head.