Chapter 17 (Pipers POV)

Standing up from my bunk, I head in to get a shower.

But little did I know is that Pennsatucky was in there when I walked in.

Pennsatucky is admiring, what seems like new teeth.

Damn...

She catches me staring and turns my way.

"If only you had accepted god into your heart Chapman." Her eyes bore into mine.

"I believe in science, and if I cant see something and can't prove it exists, then I choose not to believe in it." I respond calmly.

"You need to be baptized, then you'll see that god is here. Then he will love you!" Pennsatucky pulls out of her pocket, a toothbrush with a blade on the end.

Fuck.

"And if you don't, then I'll kill you college. And you'll bleed out. Slowly, painfully and alone. No one to hold you, love you, say goodbye. Alone." Pennsatucky puts emphasis on the last 'Alone' part.

I can't find the words to respond.

"And if you tell stretch, about this. I'll kill her too." Pennsatucky goes back to admiring her teeth. And also keeping her eyes on me from time to time too.

Spinning on my heels, I stalk out of the bathroom, the idea of showering long forgotten.

I couldn't tell Alex. I refuse to let her die because of me.

Alex is already sitting on my cot when I get there.

"Hey, are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost." Alex's smile fades as she see's my appearance.

No doubt in my mind I look terrible.

I've been given the alternative of getting baptized by Meth heads, or I die. And Alex will die to if I tell her.

"Y-Yeah. Im F-Fine." I stutter a little.

Alex raises an eyebrow at me. She knows Im lying. But she lets it go for now.

Alex and I choose to go to the library. We just sit and read books together.

Im sitting against a shelf, while Alex's head lays in my lap while we both read books.

I stoke Alex's hair with one hand, and hold the book Im reading in my other hand. Every so often stoping to turn my page.

Inmates are told to go to work. So Alex and I split. She walks to the laundry room and walk toward electrical.

Luschek looks hungover, so us inmates pretty much just run everything.

Were called down to the laundry room. And Nicky tells me to come with her.

I slowly make my way to the laundry room with Nicky. A couple times, asking if Im okay.

I just remain silent and count my steps.

1..2..3..4..5..

We walk through the doorway and I see Alex folding sheets. And the Meth heads were just watching her.

Pennsatucky would pull the sheets from the dryer, but thats the only help they would provide her with.

Nicky walks in front of me and I try and avoid everyone looking at us. So I split off and walk towards the dryers behind the ones everyone else is using.

The broken one is Myra. Of course. I begin to look at it. See what the problem is. But of course I have no idea what to look for.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. I jump and spin at the same time, in surprise toward the dryer and then slam my back on it.

I suck in a breath, it isn't Pennsatucky right? Everyone is in here, she wouldn't take that big of a risk. Right?

I look up to see who it is. And whether I should grab Alex and Nicky and run.

But the person to tap me on the shoulder is Alex.

She looks confused and alarmed.

"Pipes its just me." She slowly extends a hand towards me, as if to not alarm me.

I pull her towards me and hug her. Kissing her shoulder.

"Im sorry Pipes. I didn't mean to scare you."

"Its okay..." I just hug her closer.

After a few seconds, Nicky makes a joke about us, and we break from the hug.

Alex gives me an encouraging squeeze on the shoulder. And then resumes folding the sheets.

I keep my eye on Pennsatucky and make sure she doesn't try anything with Alex.

I couldn't care if she would hurt me. All that mattered to me, was Alex's safety.