6

"Right, follow me!" Hagrid said, over the sea of students.

Hagrid began walking forward, and we all followed him. Nobody spoke much, but I heard Neville sniff once or twice.

"Yeh'll get yer first sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "Just round this bend here."

Suddenly, there was a loud "Oooooh!"

The path we had been walking on had opened on to the edge of a massive lake. On top of a large mountain on the other side was a stunning castle, sparkling in the starry sky.

"No more'n four to a boat", Hagrid called, pointing to some boats sitting in the water by the shore. I felt a sudden cold hand on my shoulder.

"Millie, is it?" Draco Malfoy said to me. I turned to him, nodding. Harry, Ron and Mione stopped behind me, Crabbe and Goyle behind Draco. "Come with us." He said, beginning to lead me towards an empty boat.

"I think I'll choose for myself thanks." I said pulling away from him. "and I choose anywhere that's not with you." I heard Ron and Harry snigger behind me. Draco furrowed his eyebrows and leant towards me, whispering "you could do much better you know. I'll give you some time." He began to walk away, but not without sending my friends a dirty glare. I stared after him until Mione grabbed my hand .

"Ignore him. Come on, lets get a boat." I nodded, and allowed her to pull me into a boat, followed by Ron and Harry.

"Everyone in?" Shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself, "right then - FORWARD!"

Hagrid shouted "FORWARD" and all the boats started to move at once, gliding across the smooth lake. Everyone was silent, staring at the castle. It towered over us as we sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff where it stood.

"Heads down!" yelled Hagrid as the boats reached the cliff. We all bent our heads and the boats carried us through a curtain of ivy which hid a wide opening in the cliff. We were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking us right underneath the castle. We then reached a kind of underground harbour and everyone began climbing out.

I stumbled a bit climbing out and Ron grabbed my arm and helped me up.

"Thanks," I mumbled gratefully, brushing myself down.

"No problem," he replied, grinning at me, his cheeks slightly red. I saw Harry out of the corner of my eye give Ron and I a funny look.

"Got a problem, Potter?" I said, crossing my arms.

"What? Oh, no," He said vaguely, shrugging his shoulders.

"Oy, you there! Is this your toad?" said Hagrid suddenly, checking the boats as people climbed out of them.

"Trevor!" Neville cried blissfully, holding out his hands. I heard Harry and Ron laugh at something, probably Neville, and I shook my head. Everyone then began clambering up the passageway after Hagrid's lamp, coming out at last to grass right outside the castle. I stared in awe. We walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around a huge, oak door.

"Everyone here? You there, still got yer toad?"
I held my breath, as Hagrid raised his fist and knocked three times on the castle door.