21

MILLIES POV

I had a lot of trouble keeping my mind on my lessons that day. It kept wandering up to the dormitory, where my new broomstick was lying under my bed, or straying off to the Quidditch pitch where I'd be learning to play that night. I bolted my dinner that evening without noticing what I was eating, then rushed upstairs with Harry and Ron to unwrap the nimbus two thousands at last.

"Wow," Ron sighed, as we unwrapped the broomsticks onto Harry's bed.

They looked wonderful. Sleek and shiny, with a mahogany handle, they had long tails of neat, straight twigs and 'nimbus two thousand' written in gold near the top.

As seven o'clock drew nearer, Harry and I left the castle and set off towards the Quidditch pitch in the dusk.

"Nervous?" the Raven-haired boy asked me.

"Nope," I replied confidently, fiddling with a piece of my hair. "I'm sure I'll be better than you-"

"Okay, stop right there," he said, shaking his head. "You think you'll be better than me?"

"That's what I said, yes." I rolled my eyes. "Want another bet, Potter?"

He turned his head to look at me excitedly.

"Definitely," Harry said. "But this time, if you lose, you have to actually do what we agree on."

"Fine," I said slowly. "So what are we agreeing on?"

Harry paused for a second, before saying, "If I catch the snitch in the first match, you have to wear my Quidditch jumper around school for a whole day."

"How do you know about the snitch?" I asked suspiciously.

"Ron pretty much explained everything," he said, chuckling lightly. "Well?"

"Not the one that says Potter on the back?"

"No, the one that says Weasley on the back," he said sarcastically, but I pretended not to notice the sarcasm in his voice.

"Really? Because I'd much rather wear Ron's," I said happily.

He glared at me, before his signature smirk returned. "If you haven't noticed, Ron's not on the team, I am."

"And if you haven't noticed, so am I," I said, biting back a smile. "So I have my own Quidditch jumper, but thanks anyway."

"Nope, you can't back out now," Harry said triumphantly. "You've already agreed."

"That's only if you catch the snitch, remember," I reminded him, dropping the piece of hair.

"Easy work."

I hadn't even realised we'd arrived at the stadium. It was incredible. Hundreds of seats were raised in stands around the pitch so that the spectators were high enough to see what was going on. At either end of the pitch were three golden poles with hoops on the end. They reminded me of the little plastic sticks Muggle children blew bubbles through, except that they were fifty feet high. I noticed Oliver hadn't arrived yet, so I was just about to sit down in the grass, when Harry mounted his broom and kicked off the ground. I looked up at him, raising my eyebrows.

"Scared I'm better than you, Donovan?" He called down to me, his loud laugh dancing through the stadium.

"Actually, quite the the opposite," I said, jumping on my broom and meeting him in the sky. He shook his head, grinning.

"Catch me if you can," I said, and zoomed off in the opposite direction. He quickly followed, and we swooped in and out of the goalposts, and then sped up and down the pitch, racing each other. The nimbus two thousand turned wherever I wanted at the lightest touch.