27

MILLIES POV

Hoping my knees weren't going to give way, I walked out onto the pitch with the team to loud cheers.

Madam Hooch was refereeing. She stood in the middle of the pitch, waiting for the two teams, her broom in her hand.

"Now, I want a nice fair game, all of you," she said once we were all gathered round her. I noticed that she seemed to be speaking particularly to the Slytherin captain, Marcus Flinch, a fifth year. I thought he looked a bit like a troll. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my fellow Gryffindors cheering and clapping loudly. My heart skipped. I felt braver.

"Mount your brooms, please."

I clambered onto my nimbus two thousand.

Madam Hooch gave a loud blast on her silver whistle and fifteen brooms rose up, high, high into the air.

Then it began.

As I watched the quaffle be thrown into the air, it was like a switch was flicked on inside me somewhere. I zoomed up to the ball and snatched it from mid-air.

"And the Quaffle is taken immediately by Millie Donovan - a new member of the Gryffindor team - and rather attractive too -"

"Jordan!"

"Sorry Professor."

I smirked as I carried the quaffle along the pitch, dodging all the Slytherins, my brown hair flying behind me. The twin's friend, Lee Jordan, was doing the commentary for the match, closely watched by Professor McGonagall.

"...And she's really pelting along up there, a neat pass to Angelina Johnson, a good find of Oliver Woods, last year only a reserve - back to Donovan - no, Slytherin have taken the quaffle..."

I punched the air angrily as I watched Marcus Flint fly off with the ball. I panicked as he went to score, but it was stopped by Oliver. I breathed out, and flew towards our hoops to help.

"...and Gryffindor take the Quaffle - that's chaser Katie Bell of Gryffindor there, nice dive around flint, off up the field and - OUCH - that must've hurt, hit in the back of the head by a bludger - quaffle taken by Slytherin..."

"You okay?" I called out to Katie.

"Yeah, thanks," she replied, sending me a smile as she rubbed the back of her head. I nodded, but noticed tears fill her eyes. Anger flooded through me. I turned my head back to the quaffle, and saw a Slytherin boy holding it. I zoomed next to him, so that we were flying side-by-side.

"Piss off, Donovan," He sneered, knocking into my side.

"Okay," I said, before looping infront of him, which made him drop the quaffle in surprise. I sent him a quick wink before flying down and catching it. I heard the cheers from the stands increase.

"Amazing skill there from, Donovan - and to think she's only a first year - a clear field ahead and off she goes - she's really flying - dodges a speeding Bludger - the goalposts are ahead - come on now, Millie - keeper Bletchley dives - misses - GRYFFINDOR SCORE!"

"YES!" I shouted, grinning as the Gryffindor cheers filled the air, with howls and moans from the Slytherins. I caught eyes with Harry, who was watching me in delight. I turned back to the game.

"...Slytherin in possession," Lee was saying. "Chaser Pucey ducks two bludgers, two Weasleys and chaser bell speeds towards the - wait a moment - was that the snitch?"

A murmer ran through the crowd as Adrian Pucey dropped the Quaffle, too busy looking over his shoulder at the flash of gold that had just passed his left ear.