14

MILLIES POV

"Bloody hell," Ron groaned loudly, as I appeared behind him.

"What?"

Complaining loudly, he gestured to a notice pinned up in the common room. Flying lessons would be starting on Thursday - and Gryffindor and Slytherin would be learning together.

"Typical," Harry said darkly, from beside Ron.

"It's not that bad," I said.

"Oh yeah, just what I want," Harry muttered, staring at the notice. "To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy."

"That's true," I said, scrunching my nose. "Can't imagine you'd be very good."

Harry faced me quickly, his eyes narrowed. "Oh yeah, Donovan? Want another bet?"

"Fine-"

"Malfoy's always rambling on about Quidditch," Ron interrupted us before we could make some stupid bet. It worked, distracting me as my mind went to Malfoy. Ron was right, he certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about first years never getting on the house quidditch teams, and told long, boring stories which always seemed to end with him 'narrowly escaping muggles in helicopters'. He wasn't the only one though: the way Seamus told it, he'd spent most of his childhood zooming around the countryside on his broomstick. Even Ron would tell anyone who would listen about the time he'd almost hit a hang glider on Charlie's old broom. Quidditch was obviously a very popular sports in the Wizarding world, and I couldn't wait to learn how to fly, with the Slytherins or without. Ron had already had a big argument with Dean about football. Ron couldn't see what was exciting about a game with only one ball where no one was allowed to fly. I had even caught Ron prodding Dean's poster of West Ham football team, trying to make the players move. Mione told me she's really nervous too.

"Thing is," she had said the night before. "You can't learn flying from a book."

This hadn't stopped her from trying though, and on Thursday morning, she spent the majority of breakfast telling us all the flying tips she had got out of the library. I noticed Neville hanging onto her every word, desperate for anything that might help him stay on his broomstick later.

I have to say, I was pleased when Mione's lecture got interrupted by the arrival of the post. I watched as Malfoy's eagle owl brought him yet another packet of sweets from home, and he winked at me from across the room. I grimaced and turned away just in time to see Neville opening a package excitedly. He showed us a glass ball, which seemed to be full of white smoke.

"It's a rememberall!" He explained. "Gran knows I forget things - this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this, and if it turns red - oh..." His face fell because the remembrall had turned red "... you've forgotten something."

I was trying to help Neville remember what he'd forgotten, when the boy who had just winked at me appeared suddenly and snatched the remembrall out of his hand.

Both Harry and Ron jumped to their feet immediately, but Professor McGonagall, who could spot trouble quickly, was there in a flash.

"What's going on?"

"Malfoy's got my remembrall, Professor."

Scowling, Malfoy dropped the remembrall back on the table.

"Just came to say hi to Millie," He said, looking at me for a moment, before sloping away, with Crabbe and Goyle behind him. Professor McGonagall nodded at us and left too.

My eyes locked with Harry's as he sat back down. Annoyance was clear in his expression, but I turned away before he could say anything.