29

MILLIES POV

Christmas was coming. One morning in mid December, Hogwarts woke to find itself, once again, covered in several feet of snow. The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins were punished for, much to my amusement, bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban.

I couldn't wait for the holidays to start. While the Gryffindor common room and the Great Hall had roaring fires, the draughty class rooms had become icy and a bitter wind rattled the windows in the classrooms. Worst of all were Snape's classes down in the dungeons, where our breath rose in a mist before us, and we kept as close as possible to our hot cauldrons.

"I feel so sorry," said Malfoy, one potions class, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

He was looking over at Harry as he spoke. Crabbe and Goyle chuckled. Harry, who was measuring powdered spine of lion fish, ignored them. I, however, didn't.

"I feel so sorry," I said loudly, so that everyone could hear me. "For all those people who are forced to go home for Christmas because they have no real friends here."

All the Gryffindors sniggered, whilst Malfoy glared at me.

"Just because your in love with Potter, Donovan, doesn't mean you have to stick up for him every five seconds."

I glared dangerously at him. None of the boys in the class seemed amused at his words, as they all just looked between Harry and I.

"And just because your in love with Parkinson, Malfoy, doesn't mean you have to follow her around 24/7," I said, earning myself laughs from the Gryffindors, whilst Pansy stared at Malfoy longingly. I almost felt sorry for the girl. Almost.

"Jealous, Donovan?" Malfoy replied, winking at me.

"You wish."

Malfoy had been even more unpleasant than usual since the Quidditch match, and especially because I had begun to stick up to him, too, which embarrassed him greatly.

It was true that Harry wasn't going back home for Christmas, but neither was I. Professor McGonagall had come round the week before, and I had signed up at once.

"What are you doing?" Harry had asked me, peering over my shoulder.

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

"You said yesterday you weren't staying, and now all of a sudden you are."

"I've changed my mind," I replied. It was true. I had wrote to Mum and Dad earlier, asking to stay. I couldn't wait to experience a Christmas at Hogwarts.
Ron and his brothers were staying too, because Mr and Mrs Weasley were going to Romania to visit Charlie.

"Just because you want to spend more time with me," Harry said. McGonagall sent him a stern look.

"I think it's quite the other way round, actually, Potter," McGonagall said, looking between Harry and I. I burst out laughing as Harry looked at her in fake shock.

When we left the dungeons at the end of potions, we found a large fur tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom, and a loud puffing sound told me Hagrid was behind it.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked, sticking his head through the branches. I giggled at the sight.

"Nah, I'm alright, thanks, Ron."

"Would you mind moving out the way?" came Malfoy's cold drool from behind us. He walked forwards and draped an arm round my shoulders. I quickly pushed him off in disgust, and Harry replaced Malfoy's arm with his own. This seemed to make Malfoy very angry, so, for the first time, I didn't push him away. "Oh, I know. You're trying to earn some extra money, aren't you, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose - that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Ron dived at Malfoy just as Snape came up the stairs.

"WEASLEY!"

Ron let go of the front of Malfoy's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, sticking his huge, hairy face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

"No."

Everyone froze.

What did you just say, Donovan?"

"I said, no. Malfoy was insulting Ron's family, and you didn't say anything to him," I argued, glaring up at him. No-one moved. You could a hear a pin drop through the usually loud corridor.

"Very well," he said slowly. "Malfoy, rudeness is not tolerated at Hogwarts. I expect better of you." And with that, Snape whipped his cloak around, and strutted away, out of sight, leaving Malfoy with his jaw dropped open. Everyone began talking immediately, with some people even congratulating me.

"Now get off me," I said, as Harry high-fived Seamus, who had been watching the scene.

"Thanks, Millie," Ron said, rubbing his neck.

"Of course, Ron, your like a brother to me." I said. He grinned widely. I heard some people whispering around me like:

"Donovan's with Weasley now?"

"Potter won't be very happy."

"Neither am I, to be fair."

I ignored them, as I watched Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle push roughly past the tree, scattering needles everywhere and smirking.

"I'll get him," said Ron, grinding his teeth at Malfoy's back. "One of these days, I'll get him."

"I hate them both," said Harry. "Malfoy and Snape."

I hummed.

"Come on, cheer up, it's nearly Christmas," said Hagrid. "Tell yeh what, come with me an' see the Great hall, looks a treat."

And so Harry, Ron, Mione and I followed Hagrid and his tree off to the Great Hall, where Professor McGonagall and Flitwick were busy with the Christmas decorations.

"Ah, Hagrid, the last tree - put it in the far corner, would you?"

The hall looked amazing. Festoons of holly and mistletoe hung all around the walls and no fewer than twelve towering Christmas trees stood around the room, some sparkling with tiny icicles, some glittering with hundreds of candles.

"How many days you got left until yer holidays?" Hagrid asked.

"Only one," I told him.

"Oh, that reminds me!" Hermione said suddenly, grabbing my arm excitedly. "We've got half an hour before lunch, we should be in the library."

"Oh, yeah, you're right." Said Ron, tearing his eyes away from Flitwick, who had golden bubbles blossoming out of his wand and was trailing them over the branches of the new tree.

"The library?" Hagrid repeated, following us as we walked out of the hall. "Just before the holidays? Bit keen, aren't yeh?"

"Oh, we're not working," Harry said casually. "Ever since you mentioned Nicolas Flamel, we've been trying to find out who he is."

"You what?" Hagrid looked shocked. "Listen here - I've told yeh - drop it. It's nothin' to you what that dogs guardin'."

"We just want to know who Nicolas Flamel is, that's all," Mione reasoned.

"Unless you'd like to tell us and save us the trouble?" Harry added. "We must've been through hundreds of books already and we can't find him anywhere - just give us a hint - I know I've read his name somewhere."

"I'm sayin' nothin," said Hagrid flatly.

"I guess we'll just find out for ourselves then," said Ron, and we left Hagrid looking disgruntled and hurried off to the library.