40

MILLIES POV

A hooded figure was walking swiftly down the front steps of the castle. Clearly not wanting to be seen, it walked as fast as possible towards the Forbidden Forest. Our victory quickly faded from my mind. I recognised the figures prowling walk...

"Snape," Harry and I said at the same time. We took one look at each other, making a mental agreement, before Harry grabbed our brooms back from the shed and handed me mine.

"Follow me."

We jumped back on our brooms and took off. Gliding silently over the castle, I saw Snape enter the forest at a run. Harry signalled for me to follow him. What was Snape doing, sneaking into the forest while everyone else was at dinner - what was going on?

The trees were so thick I couldn't see where Snape had gone. We flew in circles, lower and lower, brushing the top branches of the trees until I heard voices. I glided towards them and landed noiselessly in a towering beech tree, with Harry quick behind me. I loved adventures like this, and not to blow my own trumpet or anything, but because of my bravery, I was good in these situations. I just don't fear people. My curiosity gets the better of me. I think it's something to do with my Dad being an auror too. It's in my blood.

Harry and I climbed carefully along one of the branches, holding tight onto our broomsticks, trying to see through the leaves.

Below, in a shadowy clearing, stood Snape, but he wasn't alone. Quirrell was there, too. I couldn't make out the look on his face, but his stuttering was worse than ever. I strained to catch what they were saying.

"... d-don't know why you wanted t-t-to meet here of all p-places, Severus..."

"Oh, I thought we'd keep this quiet," Said Snape, his voice icy. "Students aren't supposed to know about the philosophers stone, after all."

I leant forward even more, just as Harry grabbed my hand.

"Get off," I muttered, trying to pull my hand away but he just gripped it tighter.

"I'm not letting you fall," he hissed.

I sighed, before turning my attention back to the two men. Quirrell was mumbling something. Snape interrupted him.

"Have you found out how to get past that beast of Hagrid's yet?"

"B-b-but Severus, I-"

"You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell." said Snape, talking a step towards him.

"I-I don't know what you -"

"You know perfectly well what I mean."

An own hooted loudly and I jumped, my body tilting forwards. Harry used his grip on my hand to pull me back.

"Told you," he whispered, now taking a fistful of my Quidditch robes too.

"Thanks," I mumbled under my breath.

"Sorry?" Harry muttered sarcastically. "Couldn't hear y-"

"Shut up!"

" -your little bit of hocus pocus. I'm waiting," Snape finished saying.

"B-but, I d-d-don't -"

"Very well," Snape cut in. "We'll have another little chat soon, when you've had time to think things over and decided where your loyalties lie."

He threw his cloak over his head and strode out of the clearing. It was almost dark now, but I could see Quirrell, standing quite still as though he was petrified.

"Millie, Harry - where have you been?" Mione squeaked.

"We won! We won! We won!" shouted Ron, thumping Harry on the back. "And I gave Malfoy a black eye and Neville tried to take on Crabbe and Goyle single-handed! He's still out cold but Madam Pomfrey says he'll be alright - talk about showing Slytherin! Everyone's waiting for you both in the common room, we're having a party, Fred and George stole some cakes and stuff from the kitchen."

"Good, I'm starving- ," I grumbled, but Harry interrupted me

"Never mind that now," he said breathlessly. "Let's find an empty room, you wait 'til you hear this..."

We made sure Peeves wasn't inside before shutting the door behind us, then Harry told them what we'd seen and heard.

" -so we were right, is is the philosophers stone, and Snape's trying to force Quirrell to help him get it," he explained. "He asked if he knew how to get past Fluffy - and he said something about Quirrell's 'hocus pocus' - I reckon there are other things guarding the stone apart from Fluffy, loads of enchantments, probably, and Quirrell would have done some anti-dark arts spell which Snape needs to break through-"

"So you mean the Stones only safe as long as Quirrell stands up to Snape?" said Mione in alarm.

"It'll be gone by next Tuesday," said Ron.

"Come on, let's not worry about it now, I'm hungry," I moaned, grabbing Ron (I knew he would be the hungriest) and dragging him off to the common room.